| 7.4°C Dublin

boyne boys battle on

Boyne Rovers 4

Cabinteely FC 1

Despite the final scoreline, this was a cracking Under-19 cup final at headquarters, played out with skill, speed, heart and spirit by two talented sides in Cabinteely and Boyne Rovers.

The Drogheda men began on the front foot and almost took the lead four minutes in. Talisman Shane Brady skipped across from the right wing before unleashing with his left boot and Aiden Quinn performed heroics to claw it away for a corner.

Cabinteely settled and went close on 21 minutes when Dean Caul latched onto a long clearance. Cathal Costello blocked, but the ball fell to Ronan Woodgates, who chipped inches over the crossbar.

Quinn then denied man-of-the-match Luke Haggans twice from distance on 28 and 30 minutes, the second a long-range free-kick which he did well to smother.


We were looking at stalemate during the half-time tea break until the Boynesiders struck three minutes into injury-time. There seemed little danger when Ryan Carberry collected the ball wide left, but he cut in, skipped by two opponents and curled to the far corner.

'Cabo' set about putting matters right from the whistle for the second 45. On 51 minutes, it was level after Haggans won a free on the 20. Shane Whelan smashed it against the upright and Woodgates arrived to knock home the rebound.

Three minutes later, they were behind again, however. Haggans had his header from the right cleared from the line, but he rose to head the resultant corner to the net.

Cabinteely pressed again, but nine minutes later they fell two behind. Brady cut in from the right, rode two tackles along the by-line and his low cross was turned home at the near post by Eoin Leech.

Still the boys from Cabinteely refused to lie down, but at this stage, you couldn't envisage Rovers conceding two. In fact, they put a gloss on it in injury-time.

Gary Thompson made it 4-1 and the Alex Morton Cup was on its way up the motorway to Louth. Luke Haggans was deservedly named man-of-the-match, but there were so many stars on both sides on the day.

Boyne Rovers: Cathal Costello, Gerard Bermingham, Daniel Battersby, Eoin Leech, James Guinn, Luke Haggans, Dean Kirwan, Shane Brady, Ryan Carberry, Dean O'Neill, Ross Reid. Subs: Colm Goring, Gideon Lugoye, Gary Thompson, Sean McGrath, Ronan Hoey.

Cabinteely FC: Aiden Quinn, Neil Walsh, Denis Vavasour, Stephen Locke, Dominic O'Driscoll, Robert Murray, Andrew Crolly, Josh O'Toole, Sean Galligan, Ronan Woodgates, Dean Caul. Subs: David Green, Jack Cleary, Shane Whelan.

Referee: Stephen Higgins. Assistants: JJ Walsh, Brendan Doyle.