| 7.9°C Dublin

Arklow rewrite the record books

THE FIRST PIECE of silverware in the 2012/13 season was won last week. And it was no surprise that Arklow Town re-wrote the record books in the process.

Since the Wicklow League/South Dublin Youth U18 Development section was formed four years ago, the Black and White's had lifted the title every time.

And hold the distinction of not being beaten in a competitive League game in that period.

Arklow put the seal on their most recent success on Saturday April 27 when beating Esker Celtic by a 4-1 score-line.

Current Wicklow League Young Player of the Year Ryan Murray and last season's U17 Player of the Year Jack Watson were on the mark along at Bridgewater Centre Park.

Joe Ledwith took his personal tally to 33 in all competitions for Arklow's Youth and U17 sides by registering a single. Lee Kenny completed the scoring

Arklow had a 100% winning record at home this season, beating Avonmore FC 2-1; Greenhills Boys 9-1; Woods United 5-0; Ardmore Rovers A 10-1 and Terenure FC 3-0. They also beat Woods 7-1 on their travels as well Ardmore 4-0.

Their only blemish was a 3-3 draw away to Terenure.

With two away games remaining against Esker and Granada FC, the 'Town's record is played 12; won 11 (including three walk-overs against Granada (home), and away to Greenhill Boys and Avonmore) and drawn once.

In total, they scored 47 goals, conceded just eight and kept three clean sheets.

To date, they have ten different goal-scorers with Murray and Watson leading the way on nine each.

Arklow Town squad consists of: William Horsman; Kyle Jordan, Neil O'Reilly, Darryl Sullivan, Lee Kenny; Dean Kelly; Dylan Orr, Jack Watson, Nathan Fagan, Reinis Graboultis; Ryan Murray, Shane Walker, Darren Furlong, Cormac Byrne, Kyle Hilliard, Darren Dempsey, Peter Sherwood, Bernard Fox, Joe Ledwith, Anthony Kelly, Stuart Mills, James Colvin, Daragh Fitzgerald, Ciaran O'Reilly and Dean Doyle. The team are managed by Darragh Murray, David Boddy and Brian Byrne.

Wicklow Town hit three past Rathnew to seal spot in final


Wicklow caused a major upset at Kilcashel in Avoca yesterday to book their place in the final of the Wicklow Cup.

In a dress rehearsal for next Sunday's Charlie Bishop Cup final, Rathnew took a 17th-minute lead when Mark O'Sullivan slotted past Ian Corkish from Jody Merrigan's pass. But ex-Villager Eric Conlon's stunning 25-yard volley levelled matters in minute 23.

The Division 1 outfit went in front off David O'Connor's brilliant long range serving free-kick in the 31st minute.

And made it 3-1 two minutes in the second half when Mikey Dunne beat the offside to roll an effort beyond Cathal Moody.

Rathnew finished with 10 men after Jody Merrigan's 83rd minute dismissal.

Newtown reached the Wicklow Cup final for the fourth successive season thanks to two late goals. United forged a 78th minute breakthrough. With both teams due to meet in the Jim McLaughlin Premier Division Trophy final in two week's time, United sealed the win in stoppage time. Dean Odlum scored the winner.

Paul Dowling