| 6.8°C Dublin

Newmill to go with Ryanair Mares' mission next for Voler Howard seeks race for Killy Injury fear for Flood after fall

Veteran chaser Newmill is to have a crack at the Ryanair Chase after his victory in the Kinloch Brae Chase on Thursday.

John Murphy's 2006 Champion Chase winner had been without success on the racecourse for nearly three years before bouncing back to form.

"Newmill is 100% OK and while we'll see how he progresses in the next fortnight, the Ryanair Chase at Cheltenham is quite interesting," said Murphy.

"It has always been an interest of ours to see how much stamina he has but he is 12 now and we'll have to mind him more.

"Newmill never runs a bad race at Cheltenham though and he should get the better ground he loves there."

Mares' mission next for Voler

Voler La Vedette will head straight to Cheltenham for the David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle.

Colm Murphy had been targeting the Irish Champion Hurdle for his talented mare but was forced to rule her out of the Grade One event after she pulled a muscle on January 18.

The six-year-old is making good progress, however, and is in line to take her place at the Cheltenham Festival in March.

"She seems A1, but we'll take our time with her," Murphy said. "She'll go straight to Cheltenham now for the mares' race."

Howard seeks race for Killy

Howard Johnson is scouring the programme book to find a suitable opportunity for Killyglen after Saturday's card at Doncaster was lost to frost.

He said: "We'll have to try and find another race somewhere for him, but it won't be easy.

"If we can get a run into him in the next fortnight we can think about Cheltenham but I didn't put him in the Gold Cup or the Ryanair, so we could look at something like the William Hill Trophy."

Injury fear for Flood after fall

Jockey Paddy Flood was taken to hospital with a suspected back injury after suffering a bad fall at Punchestown.

Flood was unshipped from Rock Diplomat, the 6-1 favourite for the Grand National Trial Handicap Chase.

The jockey was immediately sent to Naas Hospital for precautionary X-rays on his back.