| 1.3°C Dublin

Hughes to play waiting game in Juddmonte as Turpin looks to deliver

Richard Hughes will adopt his customary waiting tactics on Dick Turpin in next Tuesday's Juddmonte International Stakes at York.

Richard Hannon's consistent three-year-old was supplemented for the prestigious 10-furlong Group One contest yesterday, with owner John Manley forced to fork out £50,000 for the pleasure of seeing him attempt the trip for the first time.

However, after victory over a mile in the Prix Jean Prat at Chantilly, connections have high hopes of stretching his stamina.

"They asked me for my opinion. It's a very brave decision by John and it's a credit to him, it's really made it a proper Group One," said Hughes.

"We were thinking of running him over 10 furlongs in a Group Two in France on Sunday with a 7lb penalty but my reasoning was if you are not going to stay 10 furlongs, you may as well do it against the big boys.

"John was very happy to supplement. He asked me if he'd stay and I said I think he will, but I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say he'll definitely stay and also 'it's not my money, it's yours'.

"John was quite happy to make the decision on his own behalf with the advice that we've given him.

"I want to believe that he'll stay, but at the same time I'll ride him to get the trip, there's no point kicking on three out. If he has a turn of foot over a mile-and-two, he's going to be a serious horse."

Hannon had stated earlier in the week that Dick Turpin would be travelling to France for the Prix Guillaume d'Ornano at Deauville but Manley was prepared to have a crack.

"The owner changed my mind really. He said he owes us nothing and we might as well take our chance," said Hannon.

"It looks like there will only be seven runners so he ought to have every chance and as his pedigree says he might not stay, Hughesie thinks he will and it will cost us £50k to find out."

Hannon's Strong Suit, meanwhile, is likely to be ridden more conservatively in his next race after his eclipse at the Curragh.

Richard Hannon's two-year-old showed an electric turn of foot to win the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot, but was ridden more prominently in the Phoenix Stakes last Sunday. He faded close to home to be beaten into third and his jockey Richard Hughes has hinted at a return to more patient tactics next time out.

"I don't know what happened at the Curragh. My first reaction was that he would scope badly, but he didn't so it was probably the fact he was ridden handy that he didn't like," said Hughes. "The first day he was left in front a furlong out and at Ascot he went down a bit keen but then he got shuffled around a bit and I ended up coming late.

"So at the Curragh he was drawn six of seven -- he was the best horse in the race -- and I jumped in third place.

"I was cantering at the two-furlong pole but as soon as I hit the front I knew I wasn't going to win.

"That's what happens with these talented horses -- they do everything so easy at home -- so I imagine we'll be holding him up," Hughes said.


Privacy