Frankie Dettori is hoping to get clearance early next week from the French authorities to return to race-riding after his six-month worldwide ban.
The 42-year-old was back home yesterday after spending the previous two days trying to sort out an issue with France Galop, with the aim of returning to the saddle in time for the Investec Derby meeting at Epsom.
Dettori had planned to be back in action this week after the conclusion of the suspension he was given after he tested positive for cocaine at Longchamp last September. However, a "private matter" between Dettori and the Medical Committee of France Galop has so far prevented the French regulator from clearing the jockey to return, with the British Horseracing Authority reciprocating that stance.
"There will not be any resolution of the situation until the beginning of the week," said Dettori's French agent Herve Naggar. "He returned home this morning. The timetable of events next week is just the meeting with the Medical Committee of France Galop.
"This is a private matter between Frankie and the doctors and I don't want anything to disturb that.
"He is still confident they will give him a green light, but it is their decision. Doctors do not care about the calendar of racing. Their main concern is to have somebody fit to ride according to their opinion.
"We've done our best. There was a problem, but I really think, and hope, that it is going to be sorted as soon as Frankie sees them."
The BHA will await the outcome of that meeting before deciding on the best course of action. "If France Galop contact us early next week and say they have signed Frankie off and are happy and he meets all the criteria, we will then license him based on that, basically straight away," said BHA spokesman Robin Mounsey.
"It will have to be processed and the admin go through, but it will just be a rubber-stamp exercise and be licensed pretty much straight away.
"If France Galop don't sign him off, but if they or Frankie come back to us with some new or further information, we then have the option of licensing him based on that or more likely he would have to go in front of the licensing committee.
"If he does have to do that we are aware that the Derby is coming up and of the timescale."