| 5.1°C Dublin

Vinnies turn on style after break to leave Synger in their wake

A SECOND-HALF half hat-trick by Tomás Quinn eased St Vincent's to an ultimately comfortable 11-point victory over a battling Templeogue Synge Street in their Dublin SFC quarter-final at Parnell Park on Saturday evening.

With the contest delicately poised at the break, the holders assumed total control at the start of the second-half, hitting four points in as many minutes before Quinn struck for St Vincent's first goal in the 35th minute to leave daylight between the sides. Such an emphatic victory looked unlikely in the first-half, especially with Synger given the perfect start as Tommy Coyle landed a superb score in the second minute to open the scoring.


An initially hesitant Vinnies eventually found their stride and they opened up a four-point advantage by the 13th minute following successive scores by Ruairí Trainor, Shane Carthy, Ciarán Dorney, Quinn and Diarmuid Connolly.

Eoghan O'Gara replied for Templeogue and despite conceding further scores to Eamon Fennell and Dorney, Synge Street enjoyed a purple patch of their own, replying through Coyle, the excellent Niall Scully and Declan Treanor.

Mark Treanor's point in the 27th minute maintained their optimism and two minutes later, Ger Vickery produced a wonderful fetch and finish to hand his side the lead.

Ruairí Trainor's point levelled matters approaching the break with Vincent's requiring a more consistent effort upon the restart if their title defence ambitions were to remain intact.

That they duly delivered when called upon emphasised their confidence and after Quinn had netted from Brendan Egan's pass five minutes in, a second goal arrived two minutes later when he slotted home after Ruairí Trainor's effort had struck the upright.

A third goal was added in the 42nd minute with Connolly and Carthy combining superbly to release Quinn for a facile finish and although they understandably relaxed from that point, conceding two injury-time goals to O'Gara and substitute Jack Swaine, the champions eased home with 11 points to spare by the final whistle.

Scorers - St Vincent's: T Quinn 3-4 (0-3f), R Trainor 0-4, D Connolly, C Dorney 0-3 each, G Burke, S Carthy 0-2 each, E Fennell, T Diamond 0-1 each. Templeogue Synge Street: E O'Gara 1-1, G Vickery, J Swaine 1-0 each, N Scully 0-3, T Coyle, D Treanor (1f) 0-2 each, M Treanor 0-1.

St Vincent's: M Savage; K Bonnie, J Curley, H Gill, B Egan, G Brennan, M Concarr, E Fennell, D Murphy; G Burke, D Connolly, S Carthy; R Trainor, C Dorney, T Quinn. Subs: Cameron Diamond for Egan and T Diamond for Carty (44), Cormac Diamond for Treanor (47), M Moore for Gill (49), A Baxter for Quinn (50), G Murphy for Dorney (58).

Templeogue Synge Street: P Collie; B McTaggart, M Treanor, R Power; B Bentley, N O'Sullivan, D Treanor; D Bastick, C O'Reilly; C McKiernan, N Scully, T Coyle; E O'Gara, A O'Brien, G Vickery. Subs: J Varley for O'Reilly (19), K Devine for McTaggart (39), C O'Gara for O'Brien (44), B Fitzgerald for Power (47), M Hiney for Coyle (49), J Swaine for Vickery (57).

Ref: Darragh Sheppard (Round Tower Lusk) .