| 8.3°C Dublin

Vincent's have Maur to offer

ST VINCENT'S 2-16, ST MAUR'S1-7 - Donegal captain, Michael Murphy, was in the audience at Swords last night. He was with his DCU college colleague, Paul Flynn, of the host club.

He saw St Vincent's progress to the quarter-final of the Evening Herald Dublin Senior Football Championship.

The big man happily signed autographs for the Huckleberry Fins, who kept asking him was Jimmy still winning matches.

Everybody was welcome at the post-match press conference of the Vincent's manager, Tommy Conroy.

"Maur's caused us certain problems, but the main thing is that we got through. Yet we know we'll have to improve for the next day," said Tommy.

The Marino men will meet the winner of tonight's Parnell Park pot-boiler between Parnell's and Ballymun.


Also present was the new Dubs selector, Shane O'Hanlon, who'll be hoping that Dublin's Jimmy (Gavin) will also be winning plenty of matches.

There was a decent crowd up on the bank at Lawless Memorial Park. But it was a contest that never really sparkled.

Vincent's were in control for most of the way. The biggest cheer of the hour was when Conor McGuire flicked to the Vincent's net at the scoreboard end seven minutes into the second half.

That left the Rush club trailing by two points, but they couldn't build on the goal and the Vincent's response was swift and decisive. The talented Maur's corner-forward, Chris Carthy, looked the business early on, but, overall, it was a quiet night at the office for the competent Vincent's full-back line of Hugh Gill, Eoin Brady and Willie Lowry.

Any chance he got, Ruairí Trainor ran at the Rush rearguard with blistering pace, and the ball was sticking to Mossy's gloves. Dáithí ó Murchú and Eamon Fennell were in charge at midfield, and young Cormac Diamond went on some smashing runs.

Vins might have had another couple of goals only for the brilliance of the Maur's 'keeper, Mark Butterly. He saved point-blank from Mossy in the 20th minute, and 11 minutes into the restart he made an even better stop from a shot from the flying Fennell.

Vins were ahead at the break, 1-4 to 0-3. The goal arrived on 13 minutes. Trainor concluded another storming charge with a shot that sliced off his fork. Mossy, loitering by the left-hand post, tucked away the crumbs.

Diarmuid Connolly was full of energy and invention. He palmed in their second goal on 47 minutes. Not long after, the car park began to empty.

SCORERS - St Vincent's: T Quinn 1-6 (0-5f); D Connolly 1-3 (0-1f); C Diamond 0-2 (1f); E Fennell, R Trainor, D Russell, N Billings, K Golden 0-1 each. St Maur's: C Carthy 0-4 (2f); C McGuire 1-0; C Moore, D Carrick, R Kelly 0-1 each.

ST VINCENT'S: M Savage; H Gill, E Brady, W Lowry; M Concarr, G Brennan, K Fernee; D ó Murchú, E Fennell; S Carthy, R Trainor, D Russell; C Diamond, D Connolly, T Quinn. Subs: N Billings for Carthy (47); K Golden for Trainor (54); S Byrne for Brennan (54); C Dorney for Connolly (58); M Loftus for O Murchú (59).

ST MAUR'S: M Butterly; K Sweetman, O McGinty, S McGuinness; N Walsh, L Fletcher, R McGinty; M Reilly, D Byrne; B Moore, B Horgan, R McGuire; C Carthy, C McGuire, C Reddin. Subs: C Moore for R McGuire (ht); D Carrick for Fletcher (ht); R Kelly for B Moore (47); E Bollard for Sweetman (50).

REF: J King (Garda).