| 3°C Dublin

Tyrrell's injury-time equaliser saves Moorefield


Cian O'Connor, Moorefield, in action against Ray Cahill, Sarsfields

Cian O'Connor, Moorefield, in action against Ray Cahill, Sarsfields

Cian O'Connor, Moorefield, in action against Ray Cahill, Sarsfields

Moorefield manager, Luke Dempsey hailed the efforts of his players as they came from five points down with 11 minutes left to keep their hopes of bagging a second Kildare senior football title in-a-row alive.

Adam Tyrrell was the hero for the Moores with an injury-time equaliser (Moorefield 0-16 Sars 1-13) and Eanna O'Connor, son of former Kerry manager Jack, almost won it for them but his shot was blocked.

Sarsfields will be disappointed not to have seen off their Newbridge rivals, a repeat of the quality of this encounter will be a treat for the patrons who make it into next Sunday's replay.

"I was delighted with the way we finished," said Dempsey. "All in all, it was a great team performance."

Sarsfields looked certain to wrestle the title with a run of seven points after the resumption and a 10th point from the brilliant Ray Cahill put them five clear with 11 minutes remaining.

However, bit by bit the Moores whittled into the deficit.

"I thought we got our act together after half-time and it looked like we had control in the middle eight. And certainly we looked very, very dangerous," said Sarsfields manager John Crofton. "We conceded the initiative maybe, where fellas will learn from the experience, they took their foot off the pedal a little bit," he added.

The second half was a mirror image of the first, with Sarsfields on top in the opening quarter before Moorefield won back the initiative at midfield and as a result, in the game.

When Declan McKenna finished smartly for a 17th minute goal, after Alan Smith had done the creative work, Sars were four points clear but they only managed another point in the opening period, while Moorefield scored six to lead by 0-10 to 1-6 at half time. O'Connor was responsible for the leveller and Niall Hurley-Lynch secured the lead point. Crofton will have been glad to get his charges in at the break and they certainly responded to his urgings, with Cahill unerring to give the Sash that apparently significant five-point advantage.

Moorefield refused to give in though and the sides will have to do it all over again next week.

SCORERS - Sarsfields: R Cahill 0-10 (6f), D McKenna 1-1, R Fitzgibbon, B McCormack 0-1 each. Moorefield: A Tyrrell 0-6 (4f), E O'Connor 0-5 (4f, 1 '45'), C Kelly 0-2, R Glavin, N Hurley-Lynch, E Heavey 0-1 each.

SARSFIELDS: P O'Sullivan; C Duffy, D McDonnell, S Lawlor; B Coffey, S Campbell, R Confrey; M Byrne, G White; R Fitzgibbon, R Cahill, M Browne; S Dempsey, A Smith, D McKenna. Subs: B McCormack for Dempsey (ht), C Kavanagh for Fitzgibbon (56); C McInerney-Aspell for McCormack (60).

MOOREFIELD: T Corley; L Callaghan, G Naughton, L Healy; R Houlihan, R Glavin, P O'Flynn; D Flynn, C O'Connor; A Tyrrell, C Kelly, K Murnaghan; E O'Connor 0-5, R Sweeney, N Hurley-Lynch. Subs: E Heavey for O'Flynn (22), J Lonergan for Naughton (40), K Duane for Flynn (53), J Murray for Glavin (56).

REF: N McKenna.