| 6.1°C Dublin

Synger find that little bit extra in St Anne's thriller

Templeogue Synge Street claimed the Dublin Under 16 'C' Football Championship title when overcoming a battling St Anne's by 3-16 to 0-15 after extra-time at Parnell Park last Saturday afternoon.

The final scoreline failed to reflect the tightness of the encounter all the way through with both teams emerging from the match with huge credit after an absorbing tie that ebbed and flowed throughout with both teams enjoying sporadic periods of dominance.

Ultimately, it was Synger's ability to take their chances that proved the difference between the sides as the energy-sapping heat eventually took its toll on the Bohernabreena outfit.

Templeogue's half-back line of Alex O'Toole, Jack Walsh and Curvin Lewis were hugely influential in extra-time as captain Eoin O'Donovan converted a crucial penalty at one end while St Anne's were not so fortunate as key player Grant Perry struck his own penalty inches wide of Sean Sullivan's right-hand upright.

"We are delighted to have won the championship and we were thrilled with how the lads played in extra-time," said Synge Street manager David Murray.

"I thought it was a wonderful game of football between two very good teams and I think out fitness really told to us in extra-time.

"Shane Smyth and Paul Hudson deserve a lot of credit for how fit the lads were and I think that was clearly evident the longer the game went on," added Murray.

The first-half was an edgy affair with Synger gaining momentum through Conor Doyle's early goal.

However, St Anne's carried a very live threat through the excellent Perry and his point-taking ability allowed St Anne's to take the lead by the end of the third quarter.

Ryan Kenny and David Croke worked tirelessly at midfield for Synge Street, who looked to have clinched a narrow win before Perry ensured a 0-14 to 1-11 score when adding a late free.

It proved more straightforward in extra-time as O'Donovan's penalty put daylight between the teams and Doyle's second goal of the afternoon effectively settled the tie in Templeogue's favour as their defence tightened up immeasurably through the excellence of corner-backs James Clarke and Brian Barrett.

Perry aside, there were also excellent performances for St Anne's from goalkeeper Joyal Jonny, full-back Ben Donnelly and wing-back Sam Doran while Seán Delappe and Declan King shared five points over the course of eighty absorbing minutes of high-octane football.

"We're very proud of the lads after the effort they put in," said St Anne's manager Pat King.

"It's never nice to lose a final but losing to a fine team like Templeogue Synge Street makes it a bit easier for us to take and they deserved the win for how they played in extra-time when they outplayed us," added King.

Templeogue Synge Street: S Sullivan, J Clarke, C Byrne, B Barrett, A O'Toole, J Walsh, C Lewis, D Croke, R Kenny, E O'Donovan, T Muldoon, A Leahy, L O'Brien, E Moore, C Doyle, R Turner, T Cummins, O O'Mahony, M Black, N McMahon, J Murphy, A Breen, K Black, J Cooke, P Ennis, C Nagle.

St Anne's: A McDonnell, A Knowles, B Donnelly, D lee, D Mahon, D Connolly, D King, D Heffernan, G Perry, J Reynolds, J McKeever, J Jonny, L Murphy, L Reidy, M Kenny, O Afamson, R Callery, S Doran, S Delappe, S Óg Boyce.