| 12.6°C Dublin

Syl's shock Plunkett's

ONE of the big trees has been felled in the Evening Herald Dublin Senior Football Championship.

ST SYLVESTER'S..........................1-13

ST OLIVER PLUNKETT'S/ER.............2-6

With 10 minutes to go in Parnell Park on Saturday evening, they put the lights on.

And that was the signal for St Sylvester's to become fully charged as they swept to a famous victory and a quarter-final date against Kilmacud Crokes or Ballyboden St Enda's.

Plunkett's, one of the leading contenders for the prize, had led all the way from the ninth to the 54th minute, but they had no answer to the late Malahide march.

"In the last 15 to 20 minutes when the game was in the fire, our fellas showed magnificent hunger and drive. But we always knew the lads had that kind of performance in them," summed up Syls manager, Gabriel Bannigan.

Plunkett's, last year's runners-up, were without Alan Brogan and Jason Sherlock. Both acted as water-boys - both sides needed plenty of fluids.

It was high octane stuff. And it was pretty feisty too. There were some heavy challenges going in, and a couple of bouts of handbags broke out.

Syls never stopped harrying. In the second half, Ronan Walsh, at full stretch, made a terrific block on Bernard Brogan. That summed up the Malahide mood.

Pádraig Bracken and Ross Hazley were imposing at midfield, and in attack, Miceál McCarthy struck some elegant points.

He hit a couple of gems in the first half from way out on the right at the church end. He pounced to collect the ball, fend off his marker and then managed to find the green from the tightest of angles.

Syls had a generous amount of possession before the break, but they didn't take all their chances. It was Plunkett's who led at the interval, 1-4 to 0-5. Their goal came in the ninth minute. Anthony Moyles was its chief engineer. He found Gareth ' Nesty' Smith who opened the door for Adrian Darcy to palm in.


Five minutes into the second period, the Navan Road men repeated the trick. This time, Declan Lally played in Nesty who palmed to the basket -- 2-5 to 0-5.

Syls had much work to do. And they went about it with gusto, hitting nine scores without reply. Six points came from Louth senior Darren Clarke (3 frees), McCarthy (2) and Gavin McArdle.

Then, on 57 minutes, came the critical goal as Philip Brogan got down well to save only for McCarthy to roll in the rebound. Russi Cleere and Nigel Dunne ticked on a couple of more telling points, and two minutes into injury-time, Paul Brogan, one of Plunkett's best performers, received his second yellow card.