| 12.3°C Dublin

Sweeney's return boosts Sylvester's

ST SYLVESTER'S availed of the inactivity of their nearest challengers as a 2-15 to 0-7 win over TRINITY GAELS in Druimnigh yesterday morning helped the visitors stretch two points clear at the top of the Dublin Adult Football League Division 1 table.

Syls benefitted from the return of both Gary Sweeney and Barry Ryan to the team following lengthy absences with Sweeney kicking four points from play in addition to being instrumental in many of his side's scores.

Ryan showed well in defence at corner-back with Colm Hanratty also impressing while in attack Darren Clarke hit 0-6 alongside 1-4 from Nigel Dunne and Andrew Hartnett's fortuitous second-half goal clinched the points for the Malahide men.

On Saturday evening, an excellent all-round performance from FINGAL RAVENS eased their relegation concerns as they recorded a 0-13 to 1-7 win over BALLYBODEN ST ENDA'S in Rolestown.

Having lost their previous five league matches, Ravens were buoyed by the return from injury of Ciaraán McGrath who offered great experience alongside Micko White while Darren Kavanagh played a pivotal role at centrefield.

Niall Tormey hit three points from play for the winners while Warren Finnegan was his usual prolific self with substitute Kenny McDonagh putting the seal on a three point win for the hosts.

Ravens will have a North County derby to look forward to next year as a late Chris Carthy free clinched a 1-12 to 2-8 AFL2 win for ST MAUR'S over ST PAT'S, PALMERSTOWN in Rush yesterday, confirming promotion for the hosts.

Mark McGrath excelled from wing-forward for Maur's, hitting 1-3 from play and there were sterling displays by Danny Byrne and Vinnie Whelan in midfield in front of a solid defensive unit in which Ronan Maguire, Oisín McGinty and Ciarán Sweetman all shone.

RAHENY'S play-off hopes were boosted by a hard-earned 1-16 to 1-11 win over ST ANNE'S in Bohernabreena with last year's Dublin minor Collie Woods producing an exceptional personal display, scoring 0-7, including one gem of a score with the outside of the boot from 40 metres.

AFL1: Fingal Ravens 0-13 Ballyboden St Enda's 1-7; Parnell's 2-17 Kilmacud Crokes 1-6; St Vincent's 1-14 St Mary's Saggart 0-12; Trinity Gaels 0-7 St Sylvester's 2-15. AFL2: Nh Fionnbarra 1-9 Cuala 0-12; Round Tower Clondalkin 0-11 Nh Mearnóg 1-12; St Anne's 1-11 Raheny 1-16; St Maur's 1-12 St Pat's Palmerstown 2-8; St Peregrine's 2-15 St Brigid's 0-11.

TIPPERARY qualified for a first All-Ireland MFC final since 1984 with a 1-11 to 0-12 victory over Roscommon in Croke Park yesterday.

Leading 0-8 to 0-4 at half-time, Michael Quinlivan netted just 30 seconds into the second-half and though Tipp would score just three more points for the remainder of the match, they withstood a late Rossies barrage and the sending off of Ian Fahey (two yellows) to qualify for next month's final where they will meet either Dublin or Galway.