| 12.6°C Dublin

Supersub Fitz the bill for brave St Patrick's

ST PATRICK'S are Wicklow football Champions for the first time since 2006 after a dramatic injury-time winner in Aughrim yesterday.

Substitute Donie Fitzgerald's late, late shot clipped one of the uprights before falling between the posts, securing a 1-12 to 0-14 victory over Baltinglass.

Only minutes earlier, their opponents had led by a point thanks to scores from Joey Kelly and Henry Sinnott but a free from Matty Byrne levelled the game for the 10th time before Fitzgerald's timely intervention.

IN LOUTH, St Patrick's golden era continued after they wrapped up a fifth county title in 10 years, easily fulfiling their prophecy of white hot favourites and comfortably beating Dreadnots by 1-13 to 0-7.

An exhibition from former All Star and county captain Paddy Keenan helped set the foundations for a dominant display and Aidan McCann's goal just before half-time gave them a lead to take into the break.

The outsiders pushed on looking for a goal but with Keenan, Daniel O'Connor and Eamon O'Connor all in clinical form, they thoughtfully picked their way to another Wee county Championship.

REDMOND BARRY was in inspired form in Wexford Park yesterday, firing 1-8 (0-6f) as St Anne's romped to a 2-14 to 0-8 SFC final win over Castletown.


Barry crashed home a superb 36th minute goal which lit the touch paper for an exhibition from the St Anne's forwards.

Earlier, Mark Furlong had given them the best possible start when he hit the net after three minutes but it was Barry's strike which killed any hope of a fightback entirely.

CARBURY and Sarsfields, meanwhile, will contest this year's Kildare SFC final after the former dethroned champions Athy in Newbridge yesterday on a scoreline of 0-15 to 0-12 and the latter beat St Laurence's by 1-11 to 1-9.

Eoghan O'Flatherty kicked ten points as Carbury secured a slice of revenge for last year's county final defeat while his Kildare team-mate, Alan Smith scored the goal for Sarsfields in the 39th minute but Ronnie Lawler responded in kind five minutes later to edge Laurence's in front once more.

However, it was Sarsfields that finished the stronger and points from Smith and Ray Cahill secured their final position.