| 16.8°C Dublin

Super Sars Good value



THE celebrated Crumlin cathedral, O'Toole Park, provided the perfect stage for the Dublin Féile na nGael Camogie finals on Sunday.

The action began early – 9.30am. The venue's director general Luke Lawlor was up before the cornflakes. He had the place glistening.

Five finals took place. The terraces were humming. It stayed dry. The sun came out.

The quality was first-class. Séamus Massey was MC. There was a tidy programme. The event was as well organised as Michael D's state visit to England

The Féile Funderland began on Friday at the Silver Park home of Kilmacud Crokes for the Skills competition.

The nearby Leopardstown racecourse has rarely seen such a photo finish. Ciara Holland of Naomh Mearnóg took the trophy that is named in memory of the great Mrs T, Kay Timmins, one of the sport's most respected figures.

Sarah McMahon (Kilmacud Crokes) was second, while in joint third were Megan Thomas (Erin's Isle), Sinéad Stack (Raheny) and Louisa Crowley (Kilmacud Crokes).

Then, it was on to Super Saturday as venues all around the county hosted the pool matches. Scores, sandwiches and memories a-plenty.

The magic of Féile lives on and, every year, the children and, indeed, the adults can't wait to take part in the biggest show in town.



COUNSEL didn't win the prize, but they got the people's vote.

They left the arena with a standing ovation thundering in their ears.

They met a side at the very top of their game. It was Lucan's seventh successive Division 1 Dublin Féile final. This was their fourth victory.

They were in control from the off. Their pace and movement dazzled in the sunshine.

And their skillful bag of tricks was very deep – touch, passing, blocking, hooking and slick finishing.

In the second half, Yasmin Kilduff set off on a solo run towards the pitch and putt end. She looked so comfortable with the sliotar on her hurl that she could have called to Kimmage Manor for a cup of tea.

At the break, these Super Sars had 1-4 in the kitty. The goal came on 15 minutes. The Drimnagh defence had done well to foil an initial effort that was heading for the net, but Jessica McClelland gathered the rebound and drilled it inside the left-hand post.

The genial Jessica also helped herself to two points in that opening period. The fabulous Laura Quinn got the other two.

Within a minute of the restart, Emma Sweeney lofted one over from play as Lucan maintained their sharp tempo. And within another minute, their confidence received a further boost when Órla Sadlier scored their second goal.

Counsel kept foraging. They came close a couple of times to a goal. Had they got it, the climate could have changed.

But Lucan's class couldn't be denied, and, with 11 minutes left, Síofra Byrne produced their third goal. The fish in the River Griffeen were beginning to dance.

The marvellous McClelland added a point and, just before the end, the fourth goal came from the mighty Quinn.

LUCAN SARSFIELDS: S Brogan, G Kenny, A Khan, Y Kilduff, A Lawlor, A Lucas, J McClelland, L Ní Bhroin, T O'Connor, M O'Mahony, S Prendergast, Ó Sadlier, E Sweeney, R Withero, S Byrne, A Gray, A Mahon, L Quinn, A Byrne, L Lawless.

GOOD COUNSEL: K Whyte, S Whyte, T Mulranney, C Howe, S Hamilton, N Lyons, S Bowden, C Antanacio, G Bataca, S Malone, A Ward, N McGuirk, P Jalop, S Keating, K Hickey, C Kelly, C Johnston, R Atkinson, C Atkinson, G Connolly. L Deegan, N Oenehkare, A Brady, E Kennedy.

Referee: G Donegan (Trinity Gaels).




TIME was almost up. Seconds left on the clock. The Castle were knocking on Heaven's door.

Raheny trailed by two points. They were attacking the pitch and putt end. One last spin of the wheel. There had been a few.

But this time, the sliotar reached Caragh Downey and she struck the jackpot shot. The sack shook. The final whistle blew. It was as close as that.

Raheny will now go on to represent Dublin in the National Féile finals in Ulster and, no doubt, they will show the same resolve there.

They were three points behind coming to the break. On the mark for Castleknock were Lauren Sheridan and Ciara Murray (2).

Then the outstanding Sophie Peate nudged in a close-range goal to leave them level at the tea – 0-3 to a goal.

Sophie's point edged Raheny ahead in the second period. Murray's third free tied it again before Sheridan's goal, three minutes from time, looked to have settled it in favour of Castleknock.

Sinéad Stack popped over a free for Raheny and then came the late, late show. The cheers could be heard back in the village.

ST OLIVER PLUNKETT'S/ER ... ... .......2-0

BALLYBODEN ST ENDA'S ... ... ... ... ... .1-2

THE bells were ringing on the Navan Road on Sunday evening. Home were the heroes ... again.

History had been made. Two weeks ago, Plunkett's/ER had won the Dublin Football Féile. Now, they had returned with the camogie chalice.

They had to work hard for it. The game was a cracker-jack. Boden threw everything at the Plunkett's goal except the Rathfarnham Shopping Centre.

Plunkett's defending was first-class. They had two goals in the bank at the interval. Anne McSweeney got the first of them when her free floated like a butterfly in through the cat-flap at the pitch and putt end.

Eimear Murphy got the second one. She was 20 metres out. Her first touch was golden. And pop went the weasel. Her Dad John, the former Dublin hurler, was in the audience. It's all in the wranglers.

Boden gave it socks in the second half. Aisling Gargan got a goal. Points came from Eva Cunningham and Hollyn Kennedy.

A point in it. High drama. But try as they might, Boden just couldn't breach the Plunkett's palace.

ROUND TOWER C ... ... ... ... 1-2


(After Extra-Time)

IT'S going to a replay. Get your tickets ... quick!

They drew in their group match on Saturday at Clondalkin. And this was another thriller.

Whitehall led at the turn, 1-1 to no score. Erica Boyle got the point and Sarah Quinn was credited with the goal.

The Hoops had the breeze as they attacked the pitch and putt end in the second half. Hannah Clarke reduced the deficit with a point.

Towers were piling on the pressure. The Whitehall door was not for opening. And then, right on the buzzer, Saoirse Tunney pounced for the equalising goal.

No score in the first period of extra-time. The classy Clarke nudged Towers in front with a free, but on the blow, the brilliant Boyle ensured another day out.

COMMERCIALS ... ... ... ... .................1-1

CRUMLIN ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .............0-2

THE first match of the day, and what a corker, Crumlin's Claire Kiernan will play for the Dubs. She already does. She drives the ball further than Bubba Watson.

She got the player-of-the-match award. Her Crumlin colleagues sang Happy Birthday and smothered her in congratulations at the end.

She struck the opening point. Sinéad Dixon's point, from a tight angle to the right of the road end, was a gem.

They were level at the break, 0-1 apiece. Emily Moore's goal proved golden for Commercials. Abbey O'Brien replied with a free. Crumlin went close for a goal on a couple of occasions. But the Rathcoole rock and rollers stood tall. It was a Commercials Craft Fair. And Dublin PRO Séamus Massey summed it up best when he declared at the presentation: "Wow, what a game."