| 4.6°C Dublin

Sublime Kingdom demolish Donegal

KERRY recorded a resounding 2-16 to 1-8 win over Donegal at Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, as goals from Patrick Curtin and Bryan Sheehan helped the Kingdom to their third successive league win.

With a five-point lead at half-time, Jack O'Connor's side began to pull away from Donegal after the re-start.

While Curtin's goal set Kerry on their way, Kieran Donaghy drew the biggest cheer with two fine points from range in the space of two minutes.

Kerry pulled away in the second period as Sheehan notched the second goal.

Michael Murphy's penalty was a consolation for Donegal but Curtin's final point sealed the 11-point success.

A combination of Kerry's best performance of the campaign and a sluggish Donegal showing meant that this much-anticipated match never lived up to its billing.

O'Connor said: "We can't get carried away. Donegal looked a bit sluggish and like a team that are training hard. They started off like a house on fire and went three up. We found it hard to come to terms with them. But once we got stuck into them and started pressing, it got us into the game."

Meanwhile, at Castlebar, Down ended Mayo's winning run in Division 1 with a determined 1-13 to 0-11 win.

Andy Moran pointed the hosts ahead after just 12 seconds, but Conor Maginn's fisted goal helped the Mourne men take a 1-7 to 0-6 interval lead.

Aidan O'Shea's dismissal after just nine minutes left Mayo short and, despite fine scoring from Conor Mortimer, they were unable to close the gap.

Colm O'Neill cracked home two first-half goals on Saturday as Cork beat Laois to record their second Division 1 win of the season in Portlaoise.

O'Neill's strike helped the Rebels break into a huge 2-11 to 0-5 half-time lead, but they were reduced to 14 men just after the restart after a second yellow card for Pearse O'Neill.

MJ Tierney landed three points as Laois outscored Cork by 0-5 to 0-3 in the second half, but the Munster men had done enough to claim the result.