| 16.5°C Dublin

Sheridan woe for Royals

MEATH footballers have suffered a weekend double whammy, their second injury-time defeat on the bounce compounded by the even graver news that Joe Sheridan is America-bound.

The towering attacker with the silken touch was jetting across the Atlantic today to start a new life, it has emerged.

Despite his imminent departure, he signed off for the Royals with a goalscoring cameo off the bench yesterday - only for Galway to claim the two Allianz League points on offer with an injury-time winner.

Sheridan, who works in the construction industry and has a job here, is understood to be taking up another employment opportunity in Boston.

The Seneschalstown clubman could not be contacted at time of going to press, but the Evening Herald has confirmed that he was due to fly out today. As matters stand, he is almost certain to miss the rest of Meath's league and championship season.

Sheridan made his inter-county debut in 2004 and has been a mainstay of Meath's attack for much of the intervening eight years.

In a typically Sheridanesque twist, you might say, 'Big Joe' marked his departure by finding the net as Seamus McEnaney's men were pipped by Galway in yesterday's Division Two clash at Pearse Stadium.

Not for the first time in a career forever associated with that bizarre, wrongly awarded goal to break Louth hearts in the 2010 Leinster final, the words 'Joe Sheridan' and 'goal controversy' were popping up in the same sentence after he almost sealed a dramatic Salthill draw.

Sheridan fisted an equalising goal, nine minutes from time, when he latched onto a high Cian Ward delivery that seemed to be sailing wide. Dublin referee Gary McCormack awarded the score after consultating with his umpires, despite Galway claims that Sheridan was in the square and that the ball had gone wide ... but Galway had the last laugh courtesy of Paul Conroy's late, late winner.

RUAIRí McNAMEE maintained the recent renaissance of Offaly underage football -- and broke Colaiste Eoin hearts in the process -- as St Mary's of Edenderry won the Leinster Colleges SF 'A' title at Navan on Saturday.

An absorbing contest appeared destined for extra-time before McNamee struck a spectacular match-winning point from the left wing, two minutes into added time. It proved the last and decisive kick as Edenderry prevailed by 1-14 to 2-10.

The Offaly outfit grabbed the early initiative with a goal from Cian McMonagle but their Stillorgan rivals hit back to lead 2-4 to 1-4 at the break, courtesy of second quarter goals from Colm ó Croinin and Oisín ó Ruairc.

Edenderry's second provincial title, coming three years after their first, came in a week that saw Gallen CS Ferbane claim the Leinster Vocational Schools senior 'A' title and the Offaly U21s scalp Kildare to reach a provincial semi-final.

KILKENNY CBS, beaten Leinster finalists two weeks ago, required extra-time to see off Harty Cup champions Colaisti na Deise in Saturday's All-Ireland Colleges SHC 'A' quarter-final at Walsh Park. A splendid display from centre-back Owen McGrath, who tallied 1-5, was instrumental in their 2-12 to 1-12 victory.