| 13.7°C Dublin

'Service' not civil at Barn!

THE greater ability of Civil Service to take their chances was the major difference as they recorded a vital victory over Kevin's in this AHL 6 clash at Dolphin Park on Sunday morning.

CIVIL SERVICE ..........................0-14

KEVIN'S ....................................1-7

The home side will rue a slow start in the first half when they look back on this defeat – one which puts a serious dent in their promotion hopes. They failed to score in the opening quarter after struggling to come to terms with a strong wind in their faces, despite enjoying a fair share of possession.

But credit to Civil Service, who gained early momentum and, in truth, apart from 10 minutes after half-time when Kevin's rallied, always looked the more likely winners.

Full forward Adrian Morden was central to the win and his three early points put them in the ascendancy.

Kevin's midfielder Tommy Madden then hit two excellent points to bring his team back into the tie. The first came at the end of a fine move involving Jamie Treacy and Emmett O'Mahony, before player-manager Paul Crampton created the space for Madden to slot a second.

Service kicked on once more, however, and clipped over five on the bounce. Centre forward Mark Feeney split the posts from way out the field, before a short 65 presented Anto Clogher with the chance to get his name on the scoresheet.

Further points courtesy of Feeney, Morden and a 65 by Paddy Nolan ensured the Service men were firmly in control approaching the interval.



Kevin's did manage the last word of the half, though, when O'Mahony was found by a clever Robbie Purcell pass and he duly raised the white flag to leave it 0-8 to 0-3 at the break.

The south inner city men started the second half in blistering fashion.

And in the thick of the action was their skilful number 11, Kieran O'Connor. He grabbed three points within as many minutes of the restart to kick-start his team's challenge.

When a driving Stephen McEvoy run set up Neil Crampton to pop over via the upright, all the indicators looked to a win for the men in blue.

But that was as close as they came to overturning the deficit as Service regained their composure and powered through the final 20 minutes. Three converted placed balls from Feeney and Morden (two) put them three ahead.

Morden almost found the net on 42 minutes, but his flick on from a Paddy Nolan 65 went inches the wrong side of the post. Incredibly, he was denied once more a short time later, this time by a fearless piece of defending from Kevin's Cormac O'Shea.

Kevin's were thrown a lifeline when, with 10 minutes remaining, a long ball from McEvoy found its way to the net, leaving just two in it.

The winners found an extra gear once more, though, and two nerveless placed balls from either side of the pitch by Feeney, along with an excellent save by Paul Kelly at the other end, sealed their second win of the campaign.