| 15.2°C Dublin

Sars end Crumlin summer

Lucan Sarsfields 1-12

Crumlin 0-13

Lucan Sarsfields took a giant step towards qualification for the knockout stages of the Dublin Junior 'B' Hurling championship with a hard-earned victory over Crumlin at Pearse Park on Sunday morning.

Played in very windy conditions, Lucan found it tough to shake off a dogged Crumlin outfit who were clearly devastated at the finish as their championship hopes were ended for another year.

The win moves Lucan into second place behind Parnells and means that Crumlin are now unable to catch them with only one game remaining.

The hosts started brightly and Stephen Hyland raised the opening white flag of the day after four minutes.

However, Lucan hit back with two excellent scores courtesy of wing forward Keith Brennan and another from Brian McGarry.


McGarry, along with his midfield partner Luke Philpott, enjoyed an epic battle with their opposite numbers Hyland and Johnny Kavanagh.

Hyland and Philpott, in particular, were the driving forces behind their respective teams and both showed great prowess in front of goal as each man finished with personal hauls of five points.

Crumlin enjoyed their most profitable period in the 15 minutes before the half-time break. Craig Gough came alive in the corner and caused all sorts of problems for the Lucan defence.

Gough scored two in a minute to push his side in front.

This was followed up by Mick Frisbie's opportunistic score before Hyland sent over a huge effort on the whistle to leave the score reading 0-8 to 0-5 in favour of Crumlin.

When Hyland scored an almost identical score at the beginning of the second half and Darren Ryan hit a beauty from an acute angle, it looked as though Crumlin would take control of the game as the momentum was gathering in their favour.


But Lucan were not prepared to lie down and man of the match Adam Glover was soon to show why he was moved from his starting position of corner back up to the full-forward line.

Glover made some intelligent runs off the ball and played a significant role as a link man for his forward line.

But it was his goal after 40 minutes which changed the complexion of the game.

A high ball by Philpott fell among a number of players on the 20m line. Somehow, it managed to find its way to Glover who pulled first time.

It was an emphatic finish to the roof of the net and left Crumlin keeper Mick Curran with no chance. Philpott added a great individual effort to push his side in front and, with Kevin Roche dominant at centre back, Lucan looked a different side to what was witnessed up to that point.

It made for a tremendous battle in the final quarter.

Hyland equalised before Glover put slight daylight between the teams with two close ranged frees.

From that point, it was a case of hanging on for victory and there was some excellent Lucan defending, particularly from full-back Jerome Twomey.

However, Hyland ensured that there would be the minimum between them entering injury time to set up a grandstand finish.

But it was Glover who had the last word with his third free to clinch the win for his team.