| 8.2°C Dublin

Reachrann win epic


THERE was late drama at the DCU Sportsground on Tuesday afternoon.



A brace of late goals from Jack ó Rua and Samuel ó Broin helped Gaelcholáiste Reachrann snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. It came at the end of an intriguing Dublin Schools Juvenile Hurling 'E' decider with Coolmine Community School.

Reachrann came into this game having not lost a game for close to two years, but although the Donaghmede outfit had opened the scoring with a third-minute point from corner-forward Cian Mac Liam, Coolmine soon showed their intent with a terrific goal from all of 25 metres by half-forward Dean O'Brien.

This gave them a massive confidence boost at a very early point in the contest and even though the action was scrappy at times in the opening period, the Coolmine forward line were proving to be a constant threat.



And they increased their advantage to five on 20 minutes, courtesy of further scores from Jack Purcell (two) and Daniel Cullinahan.

Reachrann were proving to be somewhat wasteful with the opportunities that came their way, although an ó Rua point did cut into the deficit.

Half-back Conor McCarthy and Cullinahan found the target for Coolmine before the end of the half, but an expertly taken major from a tight angle by Cian Mac Liam meant that there was three points between the teams (1-5 to 1-2) upon the resumption.

This very much left the outcome in the balance as the action recommenced, but it was Coolmine who drew first blood in the second half, as a 34th-minute goal from midfielder John Laython – following superb build-up play by Purcell and Cullinahan – put more daylight between themselves and Reachrann.

The Gaelscoil did produce a positive response with a brace of points from Conchúir ó Broin, but a third Coolmine goal after 39 minutes from close in by the ever-dangerous Cullinahan left them with a mountain to climb for the remainder of the tie.



However, it didn't take them long to cancel out Cullinahan's effort, as Sam ó Broin drilled a low shot from distance past Coolmine custodian Jack Melvin just two minutes later.

This handed Reachrann some much-needed momentum, but with Melvin pulling off a number of important saves, Coolmine looked like they would hold out.

But ó Rua was on hand to kickstart a late scoring spree for Reachrann with a point from the right-wing on 57 minutes and when he lashed home after the ball broke loose in the Coolmine square at the end of normal time, it looked like the sides were destined to be on level terms when the final whistle blew.

Reachrann and Sam ó Broin had other ideas, however, as his kicked major from the right-hand side four minutes into time added on ensured that Reachrann emerged victorious following a breathtaking comeback.

Scorers – GC Reachrann: S ó Broin 2-0; J ó Rua 1-2; C Mac Liam 1-1; C ó Broin 0-2 (1f). Coolmine CS: D Cullinahan 1-2; J Laython 1-0, D O'Brien 1-0; J Purcell 0-2; C McCarthy 0-1.

GC REACHRANN: P ó Briain; E Mac Aodh, C Brabazon; C ó Briain, D Mannix, C ó Cearbhalláin; R Mac Leim, C ó Broin; S ó Broin, J ó Rua, S ó Cantigh; P ó Foghlú, C Mac Liam.

COOLMINE CS: J Melvin; J Bergman, A Tang; A Richardson, C McCarthy, D McGuire; J Laython, S Keenan; N Sheehan, J Purcell, D O'Brien; D Cullinahan, A Regan.

Referee: E Walker (O'Toole's)