| 17.8°C Dublin

Port' stormed by late Carlow surge



A brace of second-half goals ensured Carlow CBS booked a spot in Round 2 of the Leinster Senior 'A' Colleges Football Championship as both they and Portmarnock Community School finished with 14 players at Carlow Town Hurling Club on Thursday last.

Managed by former inter-county referee Pat Ahern, the hosts overturned a one-point interval deficit, with goals from joint top-scorer Graham Delaney and Simon Doyle paving the way to victory.

It wasn't all sweetness in this encounter, played in mixed weather conditions, with both sides seeing a player shown red in the closing minutes. The visitors' Conor Dunne was dismissed in the 58th minute after a skirmish involving a number of players, while Doyle was sent to the line four minutes later.

Dublin minor Shane Carthy was certainly to the fore in the opening chapter scoring five of his side's six first-half points, as Portmarnock claimed a 0-6 to 0-5 interval lead.

Despite the North Dublin outfit leading on the scoresheet at the break, it was Carlow CBS who were gifted many of the chances in the first half as they really dominated in terms of attacking opportunities.

John Brannigan sent two kicks wide of the target for the hosts inside three minutes, before half-back Niall Lawler bagged the opening point in the fifth minute.

A third Carlow wide soon followed with Neal Dermody misfiring, as Carthy bagged his sides first score in the seventh minute on the visitors' first attack; but this only arrived following a save by Carlow keeper Danny Curry.


Indeed, of the 11 attacks registered in the opening quarter, just two of these were for Portmarnock as the CBS claimed a 0-3 to 0-1 lead thanks to further points from Eoin Maddock and Delaney.

However, Carthy helped Portmarnock gain a foothold in the second quarter as the outscored their opponents by five points to two.

The left corner-forward was a constant thorn throughout this contest, as Carlow CBS replaced his marker, Ross Hennessy, in the 23rd minute with Tomás Kenny introduced. Kenny was certainly a strong force for the remainder of this game; Carthy was held to just two second-half points -- both from placed balls.

A fifth Carthy score pushed Portmarnock in front by the break but Carlow were more determined on the restart, bagging 1-2 inside five minutes, with Delaney netting their goal to push them 1-7 to 0-6 ahead.

A 40th-minute Carthy point kept a wind-assisted Portmarnock in touch, but with hailstones pelting down it was going to be tough to add to their tally.

Delaney added a further point for the hosts, but with four minutes left on the clock tempers frayed as Conor Dunne was sent to the line.

Portmarnock rallied with a seventh Carthy score, but his side only managed two second half points.

With the game now in injury time and a goal between the sides, centre half-forward Matthew Gavin watched his goal shot blaze off the crossbar.

Carlow CBS lost John Dwyer to a red card in the 64th minute, but two minutes later a Simon Doyle goal confirmed victory and there was no way back for Portmarnock CS.

SCORERS - St Mary's CBS: G Delaney 1-4 (0-3f), S Doyle 1-1, N Lawler, M Fitzgerald, E Maddock 0-1 each. Portmarnock CS: S Carthy 0-7 (3f), A O'Shaughnessy 0-1.

ST MARY'S CBS: D Curry; F Doyle, S Wogan, R Hennessy; N Lawler, P Murphy, P Ahern; S Doyle, M Fitzgerald; N Dermody, J Brannigan, J Dwyer; J Lowry, G Delaney, E Maddock. Subs: T Kenny for Hennessy (23); M Lawlor for Lowry (36); M Furey for Ahern (36); C O'Toole for Maddock (45); C Murphy for F Doyle (inj, 59).

PORTMARNOCK CS: K Kiernan; N Conlon, I O'Meara, C Chaney; J McCabe, N Kenny, N Murphy; C McMahon, R Deasy; E Rossiter, M Gavin, T Whelan; C Dunne, A O'Shaughnessy, S Carthy. Subs: D Ryan for Whelan (HT); S Quigley for Deasy (42).

REFEREE: Alan Lagrue (Kildare).