| 12°C Dublin

Peregrine's and Vins reach final

St Vincent's and St Peregrine's advanced to the Dublin Intermediate Hurling Championship final following their semi-final wins over Thomas Davis and Raheny respectively in O'Toole Park last Sunday afternoon.

There was a dramatic finale in the opening semi-final as a last-gasp goal by Keith Connolly saw St Vincent's overcome Thomas Davis by 1-14 to 0-16.

Connolly was on hand to fire home through a phalanx of bodies with the substitute making another telling contribution after his introduction at full-forward.

The high-quality encounter ebbed and flowed throughout with both sides enjoying brief pockets of dominance without being able to pull clear from each other.

Kevin Ward was Thomas Davis' scorer-in-chief and he received valuable support in attack by Seán Reilly and Mattie Burden.

Their defence generally coped well in open play with full-back Gavin Carruth and corner-back Conor Molloy to the fore but Vinnies were able to remain in contention through the dead-ball prowess of Shane Kiernan.

The winners were also indebted to goalkeeper James Daniels, who pulled off two great saves in the second-half, complementing the solidness of Eoin Clerkin at full-back.

However, the tie looked to have swung in Thomas Davis' favour at the end of the third quarter when Cathal Fallon was dismissed but Vinnies made light of their numerical disadvantage through the efforts of Shane De Piorra, Kiernan, Séamus McHugh and Conor Mullins.

It appeared that Thomas Davis had done enough to get over the line but Connolly's late intervention ensured a thrilling and positive climax for the Marino men.

The reward for St Vincent's is a final clash against St Peregrine's, who proved too strong for Raheny when claiming a 3-17 to 1-14 victory.

A goal by Brian Kelleher early in the second-half proved the game's defining score as Peregrine's largely controlled matters from that point onwards.

"It was one of those games were everything went right for us," was the assessment of St Peregrine's Ciarán Conneely.

"The lads played well and we got the bounce of the ball on a couple of occasions but it's great to come through the semi-final as the club has never reached an Intermediate Hurling final before," he added.

A superb solo goal by Cillian Byrnes was the highlight of a tight first-half but once Kelleher netted, the Blakestown Road club assumed dominance through captain Brendan Goodwin, Fiachra Byrnes, Declan Coady, Gary Kavanagh and Eoin Comerford.

Colm Foley added a third insurance goal for Peregrine's by the close on a historic day for the club as Senior 'B' status was confirmed.