| 9.4°C Dublin

Pat bursts Boden dam

KILMACUD CROKES 1-10 BALLYBODEN ST ENDA’S 0-8 - A late goal from Crokes star Burke finally breaks St Enda’s and secures quarter-final tussle against Sylvester’s.

A PAT BURKE goal five minutes from time ensured favourites Kilmacud Crokes got the better of Ballyboden St Enda’s at the second time of asking in the last 16 of the Evening Herald Dublin SFC last night.

Burke’s brilliant individual effort was a fitting way to end this tie, after 120 minutes of tough championship football.

Indeed, were it not for the intervention of the corner forward, this game looked destined to be heading for extra-time.

Tied at 0-8 apiece, a superb Ronan Ryan tackle on Conal Keaney instigated the attack. Cian O’Sullivan’s long ball found Burke on the sideline beneath the stand. He showed a searing turn of pace to lose his marker before carrying towards goal and finishing from close range.

Former Dublin minor star Paul Mannion then finished the job with two late points, one from a 45.

Crokes looked the more likely for the opening 20 minutes. Points from Mannion, Burke and Craig Dias gave them some breathing space.

The 2010 champions lost |goalkeeper David Nestor through injury midway through that opening half. However, substitute Gavin Morris was never tested by the Boden attack.

The Firhouse men, though, enjoyed a purple patch approaching half-time, two frees from Andrew Kerin sandwiching a superb effort from Bob Dwane to ensure parity at the break, 0-5 apiece.

Mark Vaughan, starting in place |of the injured Ray Cosgrove, split |the posts after the restart while Mannion’s 45 extended the Sillorgan men’s advantage.

But from there, Crokes lost their way for the following 15 minutes as Michael Darragh Macauley and Stephen Hiney began to exert their influence. Conal Keaney, the

Ballyboden hero in the drawn game, kicked a close range free along with two excellent points from play to give his side the lead for the first time entering the final 10 minutes.

But a point from distance by sub and Wexford inter-county man Adrian Morrissey brough Crokes level, before Burke, like he has so often in the past, stood up when it counted.

Hugh Kenny’s men now face St Sylvester’s in the quarter-final next Wednesday.