| 15.9°C Dublin

Mun machine is silenced by Syls

SAINTS edge league semi to kill Kickhams' double dream

BALLYMUN KICKHAMS' chances of a league and championship double were extinquished yesterday as St Sylvester's advanced to the final of the Dublin Adult Football League Division 1 following a narrow 2-9 to 1-9 victory over the 'Mun in their Top 4 play-off at Páirc Ciceam.

Dean Rock converted a first-minute penalty for the county champions but the visitors, driven on by the impressive Pádraig Bracken at midfield, soon gained control though points from Darren Clarke and Miceál McCarthy's 16th-minute goal.

Clarke was centrally involved in the next critical score when fouled for a penalty which Gavin McArdle despatched to the net to ensure a 2-5 to 1-7 lead for the Malahide men at half-time.

The second-half was a more dogged affair with points by Clarke and McCarthy keeping Syls ahead and they confirmed their final berth thanks to excellent defensive play by Aidan Lawlor and full-back Brian Sexton.

In the other semi-final, Na Fianna were indebted to a goal from substitute Senan Connell as they prevailed by 1-7 to 0-6 against St Oliver Plunkett's/ Eoghan Ruadh in a low-scoring encounter at Martin Savage Park.

Adam Caffrey and David Quinn shared five points for the winners, with Connell's goal, against his former club, just before the interval and outstanding contributions by Enda Ledwith, Niall McGovern, Niall Copper and Paddy Quinn sufficient to see Na Fianna progress by four points.

Plunkett's were without the Brogan brothers Alan and Bernard, who are both currently in New York on the All Stars trip. Alan is currently injured and would not have been able to play.

In AFL2, Round Tower Clondalkin finished strongly to overcome Skerries Harps by 1-9 to 1-6 in their promotion play-off semi-final at the Community Centre in Clondalkin.

The hosts had much the better of a low-scoring first-half with Stephen Halpin and the tireless Liam Connolly providing a solid platform at centrefield while Jason Joyce's 25th-minute goal and points from Cathal Carthy and James Kelly helped Tower's into a 1-5 to 0-1 interval lead.

Skerries improved after the break with substitute Graham Cullen making a positive impact and they drew level by the end of the third quarter when Conor McGrath inadvertently diverted a rebound into his own net.

However, the hosts responded admirably through scores by Ian Ward and Tom Lyons and they held out with a degree of comfort thanks to the collective efforts of their full-back line of Eoin Young, McGrath and full-back Jamie McCarthy.

Tower's reward is a final against Raheny next Sunday after Ciarán Whelan's men strolled to a facile 1-16 to 1-2 over Erin's Isle in St Anne's Park.

Despite conceding an early goal, Raheny recovered well with Ciarán Murphy kicking 1-4 in addition to three points from Gavin Ivory and the full-back line of Paul McCabe, Darragh Pelly and Shane Harkin ensured the hosts' final spot.

DUBLIN -- AFL1: Ballymun Kickhams 1-9 St Sylvester's 2-9; St Oliver Plunkett's/ER 0-6 Na Fianna 1-7. AFL2: Raheny 1-16 Erin's Isle 1-2; Round Tower Clondalkin 1-9 Skerries Harps 1-6. AFL 3: St Patrick's Donabate 0-7 Naomh Olaf 0-5; Clan Na Gael Fontenoy 1-10 St Margaret's 0-6. AFL 4: St Vincent's 2-8 Scoil Uí Chonaill 0-11.