| 5.4°C Dublin

Maur's hold the upper hand over Castleknock

St Maur's finished their encouraging campaign on a high when they defeated Castleknock by 1-9 to 0-3 in their Dublin Minor Football League Division 2 final in Rush last Sunday morning.

After narrowly failing to qualify for the MFC 'A' semi-finals, the North County outfit largely dominated affairs with Eric Nugent's goal at the ned of the first quarter setting them on course for a comfortable success.

"It was good for the lads to win something this season," said St Maur's manager Derek Farren.

"We are very happy with the season that we have experienced and the most important thing from our perspective is to try to get the players ready for senior football and I think the progression they have made this year has been a positive.

"We're not that far away. We have the quality in our ranks but we're just lacking in numbers at the moment" he added.

Farren could justifiably be pleased with the contribution of Eoin conroy with the Dublin minor hurler delivering another telling display from centre-forward.

Conroy received valuable support throughout from corner-forward Barry McAllister and midfielder Alan Byrne while David Carthy kicked two crucial scores over the hour for the winners.

Another player that helped cement St Maur's dominance was their own Dublin minor Jack Burke, who shone throughout the encounter in addition to accruing a personal tally of four points.

For Castleknock, it was a day of disappointment as they failed to score in the second-half but they enjoyed their own purple patch late in the first-half to kick successive scores through Ben Galvin, John Kindlon and Ali Hannigan.

However, they failed to build on those scores upon the restart and the margin of defeat could have been greater but for the input of their goalkeeper Alex Bradean, who pulled off two superb saves to keep Castleknock's feint hopes alive.

"We gave them too much of a head-start," was the assessment of Castleknock manager Declan Hannigan.

"We were beaten by the better team and can have no complaints about the final result.

"I thought we played well in the last ten minutes of the first-half but we couldn't maintain that form after the break," he added.