| 9.3°C Dublin

Mannion magic for Crokes as Raheny put to the sword

Dublin SFC round-up


Paul Mannion bagged two goals for Kilmacud Crokes

Paul Mannion bagged two goals for Kilmacud Crokes

Paul Mannion bagged two goals for Kilmacud Crokes

Kilmacud Crokes made a winning start to their Dublin Senior 1 Football Championship Group 4 campaign by comfortably seeing off Raheny by 6-13 to 0-10 at Silver Park on Saturday evening. 

The writing was on the wall from as early as the opening minute as Paul Mannion netted for the 2018 champions and a second goal arrived courtesy of Conor Kinsella as the hosts entered the break with a commanding 2-8 to 0-4 lead.  

With Cian O'Sullivan a dominant presence at centre-back and Conor Casey enjoying an influential hour around the middle third, Crokes maintained their control of affairs as the contest evolved. 

The final quarter allowed the hosts to avail of extra space in the Raheny rearguard and they took advantage in an emphatic manner thanks to further goals by Dara Jones, Mark O'Leary, Mannion and Niall O'Leary.  

At Somerton Park, a dominant spell either side of the interval proved decisive as Castleknock defeated St Oliver Plunkett/Eoghan Ruadh by 2-15 to 1-11. 

There was little to separate the teams initially with Seán Bugler popping over two early scores for Plunkett's while the hosts responded through points from Seamus O'Carroll, Tommy McDaniel, Ciarán Kilkenny and Rob Shaw. 

Kilkenny impressed at centre-back for 'Knock was was indebted to goalkeeper Morven Connolly, who made key interventions at vital times to preserve his team's advantage but the visitors edged two points clear by the 22nd minute following scores from Niall Walsh and Bernard Brogan. 

It was at this point that the hosts assumed control thanks to scores from McDaniel and Ger McDermottroe and on the stroke of half-time, Conor Chawke calmly finished a well-worked move to ensure a healthy 1-9 to 0-7 interval lead for Castleknock. 

Chawke was heavily involved in Castleknock's second goal as he was adjudged to have been fouled off the ball in the 36th minute and McDermottroe made no mistake from the resultant penalty. 

A fine goal from Brogan offered hopes of a late Plunkett's surge but a trio of scores from Ben Galvin eased home nerves as Castleknock prevailed by a seven-point margin.

Last year's beaten finalists Thomas Davis were another team to start off on a winning note as they got the better of Round Towers Lusk by 2-14 to 0-11 at Kiltipper Road. 

The home attack was bolstered by the return of Paul Hudson to their ranks and he contributed two points to augment similar tallies by the impressive Seán Farrelly, Eoin Kirby, Ryan Deegan and Mark Nolan.

Adam Fallon, Josh Lambert, Eoin Lambert and Seán Kennedy ensured that the hosts remained on the front foot with the Thomas Davis goals arriving through David Keogh and Conor Guilfoyle.  

Elsewhere in Group 1, Ballymun Kickhams proved too strong for Skerries Harps, registering a 3-18 to 0-12 victory at Páirc Ciceam. 

Tomás Quinn's late penalty ensured a 2-15 to 1-13 win for St Vincent's over Whitehall Colmcille while at the 12th Lock, Lucan Sarsfields beat Ballinteer St John's by 0-19 to 0-9.

SFC1 Group 1: Thomas Davis 2-14 Round Towers Lusk 0-11; Ballymun Kickhams 3-18 Skerries Harps 0-12.

SFC1 Group 2: St Jude's 1-10 Na Fianna 0-8; Lucan Sarsfields 0-19 Ballinteer St John's 0-9.

SFC1 Group 3: Whitehall Colmcille 1-13 St Vincent's 2-15 Ballyboden St Enda's 4-20 Clontarf 2-8

SFC1 Group 4: Kilmacud Crokes 6-13 Raheny 0-10; Castleknock 2-15 St Oliver Plunkett/ER 1-11.