| 12.6°C Dublin

MaGuire powers Jude's past ucd

U21 ace scores late double to seal quarter-final passage

ST JUDE'S ............................... 1-9

UCD ......................................... 1-7

ST JUDE'S booked their place in the last eight of the Evening Herald Dublin SFC with a tough victory over UCD at Iveagh Grounds last night.

Like they did in their win over Lucan Sarsfields three weeks ago, a late flourish from the Templeogue men proved enough to see off the students, with substitute Paul Maguire having a major impact with two great scores in the concluding five minutes.

The Belfield Boys started with intent, a Niall Murray point was followed by a superbly worked move that culminated in David Larkin firing to the net on 12 minutes.

But Jude's responded instantly, Andy Glover cancelling out Larkin's effort in the following passage of play, benefiting from a long ball by Chris Guckian. Brendan McManamon then levelled matters with a point from what looked a seemingly impossible angle.

UCD, though, were full of running and midfielder Michael O'Regan was in excellent form, his pass setting up Armagh player Kevin Dyas to split the post.

Former Dublin goalkeeper Paul Copeland was then called into action, expertly tipping a ferocious Matt O'Hanlon shot over the bar to prevent what looked a certain second goal for the students.

Jude's began to find their rhythm in the ten minutes before the break, the influential Guckian striding forward to fist over while Declan Donnelly ensured half-time parity, 1-3 each.

The side's continued to exchange scores upon the restart, Donie Kingston slotting a free from distance, Donnelly responding with a fine score under pressure. A '45' from O'Regan again edged UCD clear, but Jude's, with Colly Murphy and Paul Cunningham gaining a foothold at midfield, would find the extra gear required for the final push.

A tenacious run from Dublin senior Kevin McManamon earned him the space to fist over the bar. Donnelly then held his nerve to convert a free to give the Tymon North men the lead for the first time in the 52nd minute.

Enter Dublin U21 of this year Maguire. His first kick from way out on the right seemed to spend an eternity in the air before dropping over the bar. He then used his pace and power to burst through two tackles to drive over from 30 metres.

UCD applied some late pressure, but the goal they required never materialised, Kingston's injury-time free proving their final act. Jude's now look forward to a quarter-final date with the winners of tomorrow night's clash between Na Fianna and Erin's Isle.

SCORERS - St Jude's: D Donnelly 0-3 (0-1f), A Glover 1-0, B McManamon 0-2 (0-1f), P Maguire 0-2, K McManamon, C Guckian 0-1 each. UCD: D Larkin 1-1, D Kingston 0-2 (0-2f), M O'Hanlon, K Dyas, N Murray, M O'Regan (0-1 '45') 0-1 each,

ST JUDE'S: P Copeland; C McBride, G Roche, S Breheny; N Cronin, C Guckian, S Ryan; C Murphy, P Cunningham; A Glover, D Gallagher, R Joyce; D Donnelly, K McManamon, B McManamon. Subs: E Dalton for Gallagher (25), P Maguire for Glover (52), O Manning for Cronin (55).

UCD: M McGinley; P Kelly, C Forde, J Hayes; C Barrett, S Redmond, M Duffy; M Dineen, M O'Regan; N Murray, K Dyas, D Larkin; N Kilroy, M O'Hanlon, D Kingston. Subs: M Brazil for Dineen (ht), L Keaney for Kilroy (36).

REF: J Rutherford (Ballyboden St Enda's).