| 14.9°C Dublin

Lake Schools punish South's wastefulness in extra-time

Westmeath Schools 2-14

Dublin South 0-15

(After extra-time)

Westmeath Schools produced an inspired second period of extra-time to finally account for a battling Dublin South by 2-14 to 0-15 in their absorbing Leinster SH 'A' 1st round encounter at Sancta Maria on Monday evening.

With Dublin South having seized the initiative through scores from the lively Ben Quinn, substitute Niall Ryan and Aodhán Clabby in the opening period of extra-time, Westmeath scored 1-5 without reply in the final 10 minutes to deservedly progress to the 2nd round.

Central to their victory was the scintillating display of corner-forward Aonghus Clarke, who scored 10 points over the 80 minutes, including five superb points from play, and he was ably abetted by Philip Reilly who struck for two crucial goals.

For Dublin South, it was a story of missed opportunities as they hit 14 wides and, although they dominated possession for large parts of the game, Quinn was the only forward to offer a constant scoring threat, as witnessed by his six points in what was an excellent individual performance.


It was Westmeath who made the brighter start and they took an early two-point lead through two Clarke scores and their lead was stretched on 15 minutes when Reilly reacted smartly to crash home from close range after a long free from keeper Cathal Scally.

Points from Quinn, Clabby and Naoise Maguire brought Dublin South, without their Coláiste Eoin contingent, back into contention before a free from Clarke, helped his side to a three-point (1-7 to 0-7) interval lead.

South dominated the exchanges upon the resumption with the full-back Bill O'Carroll and wing-back John Breen, in particular, excelling. By the 55th minute they were level through another Quinn point and, despite their monopoly on possession, they failed to put their determined opponents away, necessitating the lottery of extra-time.

They were ultimately left to rue their profligacy with Clarke's accuracy in shooting over four unanswered points and Reilly confirmed the visitors' win with an opportunistic goal in injury time to cement their progression to the second round.

Scorers -- Westmeath Schools: A Clarke 0-10 (5f), P Reilly 2-1, S Donoher, J Boyle, A Price 0-1 each. Dublin South: B Quinn 0-6, A Clabby 0-4 (3f), N Maguire 0-2, S Barron, D Mulligan, N Ryan 0-1 each.

Westmeath Schools: C Scally; D Kelleher, T Doyle, A Craig; S Donoher, C Boyle, P Laide; C Thompson, D Gavin; J Boyle, A Price, G Flynn; P Reilly, D Higgins, A Clarke. Subs: D Fennell for Craig (24), P Fennell for Thompson (ht), S Fagan for Higgins (41), N Kirby for Gavin (47), E Kincaid for Flynn (63), D McDermott for Boyle (68).

Dublin South: E Crowley; E Grogan, B O'Carroll, E Small; E McKenna, C Moffatt, J Breen; S Barron, G Whelan; A Clabby, J Doughan, D Mulligan; B Quinn, N Maguire, C Murphy. Subs: F Heavey for Doughan (45), N Ryan for Murphy (59).

Referee: David O'Donovan (Dublin).