| 3.6°C Dublin

Kerin key for Boden

BALLYBODEN ST ENDA'S.. ... ... ......1-11

ST MARY'S, SAGGART ... ... ... .. ... ...0-8

A battling Ballyboden St Enda's saw off the challenge of St Mary's of Saggart in the Evening Herald Dublin SFC second round duel at Parnell Park last night.

The 2009 county champions were slightly the better side for the majority of the match, but the game was still in the balance until Andrew Kerin found the net two minutes from the final whistle to settle the outcome.


It means the Firhouse Road men can now look forward to a clash with Fingal Ravens this Sunday (Lawless Park, Swords, 4.0), while Mary's must prepare themselves for a relegation clash against Fingallians, also this Sunday afternoon (St Margaret's, 3.0).

The Saggart men did get off to an impresssive start when energetic wing-back Alan Marshall kicked a fine score from distance before Eoin Murray, a Dublin under-21 in 2010, gave them a two-point lead.

However, Boden soon got back on terms through a free from the star of their 2010 minor-winning team Ryan Basquel and the ever reliable Andrew Kerin.


Kerin then took advantage of a clever Rory O'Donohue pass to put his side in front, a position which they would not relinquish for the remainder of the contest.

Powerful full-forward Seán Gibbons showed a good turn of pace to burst in from the touchline and fist the ball over the bar as 'Boden began to take control.

They suffered a blow however, when Dublin senior player and All-Ireland winner, Darragh Nelson, was forced to retire inside 10 minutes with a hamstring problem.

Mary's kept up the fight, and reduced the arrears to the minimum thanks to a Murray placed ball and a David Marshall point.

Marshall's effort came as a result of some excellent work by former Dublin senior panellist Blaine Kelly.

But a brace of Kerin's frees just before half-time meant that left them three up at the break, 0-7 to 0-4.

The hard working Darren O'Reilly extended their advantage within a minute of the restart.

Mary's almost grabbed a goal in the following passage of play, but Dara Walsh did brilliantly to deny David Marshall with a reflex save from close range.

Marshall made amends a short time later with a well-worked point and the score of the night from Murray left two between them entering the final quarter.

Ballyboden though, always had that extra gear and, with Michael Darragh Macauley and Declan O'Mahony beginning to improve in the engine room, they had plenty of possession to get the vital scores.


Kerin and corner-back Mark O'Sullivan gave them a healthy looking four-point advantage with five minutes remaining on the clock.

But Blaine Kelly's stylish shot with the outside of his left boot split the posts.

The game was ended as a contest, however, with Kerin's goal. Again Gibbons took on and beat his man creating havoc in the Mary's defence.

He spilled the ball but Daniel Davey, now moved from wing-back to the forward division, managed to poke it into Kerin's path, and the corner-forward slotted home from close range.

It is a case of job done for the winners, who lined out without their four dual aces -- Conal Keaney, Stephen Hiney (both injured), Simon Lambert and Shane Durkin -- but they will know much improvement will be needed for clash with Mick Deegan's Fingal Ravens this Sunday afternoon in Swords.