| 8.4°C Dublin

Jude's pile on to bewilder the points Ballinteer

ST JUDE'S 0-18


St Jude's advanced to the Dublin U21 'A' Hurling Championship Final following a relatively straightforward nine-point semi-final win over Ballinteer St John's at Tymon Park last Saturday afternoon.

The winning margin accurately reflected the comfort in which the hosts prevailed and they can look forward to a decider against near neighbours and holders Ballyboden St Enda's with a great degree of optimism.

From Ger McManus between the sticks up to Dublin minor panellist Tom Devlin at corner-forward, St Jude's looked far more accomplished than their opponents with Paul Maguire and the influential Ciarán Mangan combining superbly at centrefield.

Behind that duo, Danny Sutcliffe oozed class in mopping up from centre-back while both wing-backs, Alan O'Beirne and Robert Hardy, were equally impressive as St John's struggled to impose themselves despite the benefit of the elements in the first half.

It was Devlin who served an early notice of intent with an excellent point in the opening minute but Ballinteer, backed by a large following who made the short trip form Marley Park, levelled matters instantly through an excellent solo point by Glenn Whelan.

Maguire and Aodhán Clabby traded frees within the next two minutes prior to Mangan stamping his authority on proceedings with two quick-fire points to push his side two points clear by the eighth minute.

A Clabby free briefly halved Ballinteer's deficit two minutes later but, despite enjoying a greater amount of possession, the visitors were guilty of some aimless distribution at times which undermined the hard work of Fionán Mac Gabhann and Donal Gormley in their half-back line.

In contrast, the hosts were far more economical and precise in their passing and they pulled three points clear in the 13th minute thanks to a brace of sumptuous scores by lively wing-forward Mark Hannon.

To their credit, St John's bounced back well to restore parity by the 20th minute, with Clabby sandwiching a glorious point from an acute angle with two straightforward frees.

However, having held their opponents scoreless for 14 minutes, with full-back Frank O'Donoghue and Daniel McCarthy impressing, Ballinteer conceded three points in the final four minutes of the half, all converted by talented wing-forward Joseph McManus.


It was evident at the interval that St John's would require a goal to maintain their ambitions, but that never looked likely in a one-sided second-half, particularly with St Jude's full-back Mark Kennedy playing with great certainty.

McManus maintained his own personal scoring streak with the first two scores of the second half and although Gormley replied with an exceptional point in the 35th minute, Mangan tagged on another fine score within two minutes to preserve his side's dominance. Devlin and Fearghal Duffy traded scores as the half progressed, but the contest was effectively settled as McManus struck three successive points in as many minutes to leave eight points between the sides.

As the match petered out, substitute Ciarán Corcoran and McManus added gloss to the St Jude's tally with Clabby's glorious sideline cut in injury time one of the few bright moments on an otherwise disappointing afternoon for the visitors.