| 8.3°C Dublin

Joy for Jude's

ST JUDE'S 4-19, WHITEHALL COLMCILLE 0-8 - A fine crowd on the Tymon terrace.

A couple of dogs too. Out on the pitch, there were a few Cúchulainns. There's also an All Star in the parish - Danny Sutcliffe.

Pat Denieffe had the whistle. The sod was good to soft. Just the kind of turf that Tony McCoy likes.

Jude's craft belonged on a red carpet. They are a skilful side. Hard working too. They sprinkled the sliotar with salad cream. They began at a blistering pace. They had most of their work done when they unwrapped the Kit-Kats.

Fionn ó Riain Broin did much of the damage. He showed pace and power. He was covering the turf like Hurricane Fly.

Whitehall arrived with a weakened hand. The previous night their footballers lost the AFL Division 3 promotion play-off to Castleknock. They picked up a cluster of injuries.

Cormac Ryan wore the number six jersey. He did it justice. He's a most accomplished hurler. When he connects with the leather, it flies off into the Cooley Mountains.

Johnny Barry also did well at full-back. And up-front, Cathal Ryan can turn on a dime.

He scored a delightful point from play. He was inches wide with another sweet strike.

And late on, just as he was about to turn on the tele, the Jude's defender, Kevin Treacy managed to get in a block. Treacy's hurley broke on impact.

There's no half measures about the Templeogue tigers. Yet on the final whistle, there was hardly a flicker of emotion. They shook hands with the opposition and went off quietly to do their warm-down.

"We had a job to do, and the lads did it well. We are satisfied with the performance, but it's early days yet," said Brian Duggan.

Corner-forward, Joseph McManus, was entitled to keep the match ball. He scored three second half goals.

He brought much else to the party. One delicious first-time flick lit up the room. King Henry would have been chuffed.

Just before the tea, Jude's secured a sideline as they attacked the clubhouse end. Conor McMahon took it. It was inches away from sailing into harbour.

That very same afternoon, the big chiefs were meeting about the small ball in Croke Park. Maybe someday, they will give two points for a sideline.

Robert Hardy struck one of the best points of the hour, again from a tight angle on the right before the change of ends.

At the break, Jude's led by 0-13 to 0-3. A minute into the second period, they had their first goal when McManus pounced.

Whitehall were giving it their all. They were against the wind ... and class opposition.

There was much activity around the Whitehall door. Their keeper, Niall Molloy, made some timely interventions. His security crew got their bodies in the way.

Yet ten minutes from time, the Saints began to dance. The talented Tom Devlin produced their second goal with a tidy strike.

McManus got their third. He had begun the move himself with another tasty touch of skill.

And two minutes from the bell, he stood over a free with only one thing on his mind. He drove it with all his might, and despite meeting a deflection, it nestled low in the left corner.

And with that, the dogs in the front row got restless. It was time for tea.