| 6.4°C Dublin

Isles reach the shore after early setback

ERIN'S Isle ensured they remained in contention in the Dublin SFC by overcoming St Mark's in an entertaining losers round game at Newcastle last night.

ERIN'S ISLE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-12

ST MARK'S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-7

The Finglas men recovered from the worst possible start -- the concession of a goal from Graham Byrne after 30 seconds -- to lead at the interval, 0-7 to 1-3.

Niall Crossan and Luke Sweetman caught the eye in the opening period with fine scores. Mark's found the net for a second time thanks to a stunning effort from John Kelly after six minutes of the restart.

The Isles, however, hit back thanks to a well-worked goal from Adam Whelan and with Crossan adding another four points, hung on for a deserved victory.

SCORERS -- Erin's Isle: N Crossan 0-7 (0-3f), A Whelan 1-0, G O'Connell, L Sweetman 0-2 each, C Pike 0-1.

St Mark's: J Kelly 1-1, G Browne 1-0, P Murphy 0-3 (0-2f), S Tynan 0-2, F Morris 0-1.

ERIN'S ISLE: G Bedford; D Spratt, G Cronin, C Pike; A Browning, G O'Connell, D Kelly; K Nicholson, C Flynn; L Swali, C Mac Aodhaine, D Farrell; N Crossan, L Sweetman, A Whelan. Subs: J Kealy for Spratt (40), J Noonan for Whelan (55)

ST MARK'S: M Kavanagh; T Aderly, K Brereton, S Newman; G Browne, F Morris, G Whelan; S Tynan, D Fitzpatrick; S Galvin, J Kelly, J Bell; D McCann, P Murphy, R Farrell. Subs: C Donoghue for Fitzpatrick (42), R Hudson for Morris (50), A Kenny for Whelan (56).

REF: T Clarke (Lucan Sarsfields).

St Maur's . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5-13

Clontarf . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-6

Conor McGuire hit three goals for St Maur's in this back-door clash played in Garristown last night as the Rush men swept aside the challenge of their Division Three opponents.

Their half-backs proved the key on a rainy night as they continually linked up the play with some probing runs. McGuire registered Maur's first goal on 17 minutes, and although Ciaran Johnston replied with back-to-back frees, McGuire then scored a second goal to leave it 2-7 to 0-3 at the break.

Chris Carthy was to prove Maur's star with some exquisite shooting after the break which saw two quick goals from David Carrick ( 38) and Conor McGuire (39) before Cathal Sweetman added their fifth with moments to go.

Scorers -- St Maur's: C McGuire 3-2, C Carthy 0-6 (1f), C Sweetman 1-2, D Carrick 1-1, M McGrath, D Byrne 0-1 each.

Clontarf: C Johnston 0-3 (2f 0'45), P Sylon, C McConnell (f), R McCullough 0-1 each.

Clontarf: R O'Brien; T Craddock, D Fennelly, F Dodd; G Ryan, K Devine, E Cronin; M Murphy, I Smyth; P Curran, M O'Mahony, P Mohan; C Johnston, G Devine, P Sylon. Subs: G Carey for Fennelly (ht), C McConnell for G Devine (45), R McCullough for Sylon (50).

St Maur's: M Butterly; S McGuinness, O McGinty, E Bollard; P Butterly, N Walsh, R McGinty; M Reilly, D Carrick; D Byrne, V Whelan, R McGuire; C Carthy, C McGuire, M McGrath. Subs: S Traynor for Byrne (ht), R Kelly for Reilly (41), C Sweetman for Carthy (45), M O'Malley for McGinty (46) B Horgan for Whelan (50).

Ref: D McKitterick (Fingalllians).