| 7.8°C Dublin

Final say to Boden

BALLYBODEN St Enda's produced an accomplished team performance in deservedly claiming the Dublin Feile Peil Division 1 final with a 0-7 to 0-2 win over Na Fianna at Parnell Park on Sunday afternoon.



In truth, the winning margin could have been greater, such was 'Boden's dominance in the second half, but a series of poor wides undermined their supremacy with St Enda's finally finding their scoring boots in the final five minutes.

In mitigation, a stiff crossfield breeze wreaked havoc with both passing and shooting and it was in the former discipline that 'Boden excelled, consistently finding their men as they attacked with increasing regularity.



Central to their second half was the influence of James Madden, who secured a wealth of possession, and 'Boden eventually translated that pressure into scores as the Na Fianna challenge wilted towards the end.

That they remained in contention for so long was down to the contributions of full-back Donal Ryan and centre-back Robert Mackey, who offered a strong defensive spine to the Na Fianna rearguard.

But they struggled to create chances, thanks largely to a sound defensive effort by their opponents, in which Jack Basquel, Fionnan Keogh and Shane Bobbett all excelled.

It was Na Fianna who opened the scoring through a second-minute free from captain David Lacey. Four minutes later he forced 'Boden's goalkeeper Mark McNamee into a fine save after turning adroitly 15 yards from goal.

The midfield battle was especially intriguing at this juncture with Eoin O'Dea illuminating the afternoon with a string of fine fetches while, for Ballyboden, Christian Tshibangu worked tirelessly, using the ball simply and effectively.

It took St Enda's 18 minutes to finally end their barren scoring run as Shane Kennedy took advantage of a short free from the impressive Ross McGarry to level matters.



Crucially, McGarry began to find his range as the half progressed and two late frees in quick succession ensured that the Firhouse Road lads would enjoy a 0-3 to 0-1 lead by the interval.

McGarry was denied a certain goal within two minutes of the restart when Ryan did enough to inconvenience him in the act of shooting, but with Madden's role becoming progressively vital, the momentum belonged to St Enda's.

Lacey briefly rallied his troops with a glorious score in the 27th minute but substitute Daniel Nugent restored his side's two-point lead with an excellent point five minutes later.

There was no way back for the Glasnevin lads from this point with McGarry kicking two points before Madden gained rewards for his efforts with an insurance score entering injury-time, prompting great scenes of jubilation at the final whistle.