| 11.2°C Dublin

Faughs hit a late knock-out blow

Faughs 1-10

Good Counsel 1-8

Three injury-time points meant Faughs continued their surge towards the knockout stages of the Junior 'A' Hurling championship, with a hard earned win over Good Counsel at Tymon North last week.

The home side made life very difficult for themselves, however, with a host of missed chances.

Indeed, a wide tally of 14, nine of which came in the opening half, tells the tale of their woe in front of goal which looked like it would derail their chances at one point in the second half when they fell behind.

But Faughs also deserve massive credit for the performance as they dug deep to score those aforementioned three points and all but end the championship hopes of their opponents.

Good Counsel now need a minor miracle to progress and this is despite hurling very well in all three of their games to date. Their results are indicative of how close this group is as Counsel's two defeats were by a point and two points respectively while their sole victory came courtesy of a one-point victory over Fingallians.

The game itself continued this trend as it was extremely tight from start to finish with neither team managing to widen the gap to anything more than three points at any stage.

Counsel started the brighter with Ronnie Murphy, Ian Armstrong and David Charles giving them an early advantage as they all raised the white flag from distance.

Faughs hit four wides before they eventually got off the mark after 10 minutes. Wing forward Shane Brew finished a fine move by splitting the posts. Brew added his second point minutes later. His brace sandwiched a free from full forward Geoff Bennett.

The Davitt Road side kept their nosed in front through Jason Curtis -- his first point in a 1-5 personal haul. But Faughs appeared to have the momentum and their territorial dominance was finally rewarded with the first goal of the evening after 20 minutes.

From well inside his own half, Donnacha Reilly sent a huge free towards the Good Counsel goal. Corner forward Rory Crowley was alert to the break and in a flash he gathered the ball before crashing his shot home from 20 metres.

Crowley was a constant menace to the Counsel defence and, as well as the goal, he was heavily involved in much of their positive attacking play as he used possession intelligently.


Curtis and his opposite number Brian Glynn exchanged scores before the break to leave two between them on a scoreline of 1-4 to 0-5.

Faughs again started the second period well in terms of possession, but their shooting continued to let them down and this allowed Counsel to get back on terms.

Curtis was the man his team looked to for scores and he was up to the task with two superb efforts within a minute. Faughs responded in kind with two points from Bennett, one of which coming courtesy of a placed ball.

But the visitors were soon to regain the lead as that man Curtis capped a wonderful individual display with a goal. His fiercely struck free somehow found a way to the net despite Faughs packing the line with defenders.

Both teams exchanged a brace apiece as the game looked destined for a stalemate entering the dying moments but Faughs finished the stronger in injury time with Crowley and Brew getting the scores in a dramatic finish which ensured victory.