| 16.8°C Dublin

'Fatigue' catches up with Boden as they bow out in Féile semi-final

Ballyboden St Enda's All-Ireland dream came to an end at the semi-final stage in the Division 1 Féile Peil na nóg in Derry at the weekend, writes Diarmuid Geraghty.

The Firhouse men came through an incredibly tough group, and it appeared to take a lot out of them as they went down to eventual champions Claregalway in the last four.

Team manager Kevin Walshe gave an honest assessment in the aftermath: "Our big game was against Dromore in our final group game and we left everything out there to win that one," he said.

"In the end fatigue caught up with us. That is not to take away from Claregalway though. They were an excellent side and the best team won on the day. They were very strong around the middle and in their half-back line."

Indeed, it took a huge effort to take the scalp of Dromore in that group clash, with the Tyrone champions tipped by many as potential overall winners at the beginning of the competition.

Midfielder Christian Pshibangu was outstanding for 'Boden, while Karl Reddy and Ross McGarry also caught the eye. Shane Bobbitt – the team's top player over the two days – gave a massive performance at wing-back.

St Enda's also beat host team Kilrea Pearses on Friday evening, with Fionnán Keogh and Ross McCormack to the fore while Jack Kelly was immense in the victory over Coleraine on Saturday morning.

And Ballyboden weren't the only Dublin representative in the festival of football. St Anne's, courtesy of their own county title victory back in May, were also involved, making it to the semi-final of Division 5.

The Bohernabreena outfit scorched through their group to take their place in Saturday's semi-final where they were defeated by well-organised and motivated Leitrim side St Cailin's.


A BIG welcome home on Sunday night for the National Féile Girls Football Division 1 champions, Foxrock Cabinteely, writes Niall Scully.

"Heart is what won it," remarked mentor, Donnough Shaffrey. "The girls had such determination. They worked so hard. No stars but huge desire."

Derry and Tyrone staged the Féile spectacular. Errigal Ciarán were the Fox Cab's hosts. "They couldn't have been nicer to us. They brought a bus-load of supporters to support us in the final in Celtic Park.

"On the Saturday night, they arranged a barbeque and a céilí. They were lovely people. We met the Canavan family."

Saturday had been a long day. The Dubliners played their first match at 9.30am. They didn't unlace the boots until 8.30pm – five matches later. They had group wins against Ciarán's and Urney (Tyrone) but lost to St Val's of Cork. But they then entered a play-off for a semi-final in which they defeated Killarney Legion and Offaly's Ferbane.

The semi-final against Monasterevin was high drama. On the final whistle, the referee had the Kildare side winning by a point, but the score was corrected and Foxrock Cabinteely came though in extra-time.

"We knew we were up against it against Corofin in the final, but the girls were just magnificent. And all 24 of them played in the final. All 24 players also started over the weekend."