| 14.5°C Dublin

Dub star Flynn makes winning return from his hamstring woe

PAUL FLYNN returned to competitive football for the first time since the All-Ireland final yesterday, coming off the bench to help DCU into the semi-finals of the O'Byrne Cup.

The All Star wing-forward, who aggravated a hamstring injury when helping Dublin achieve their Holy Grail against Kerry last September, was sprung from the bench after 36 minutes as the Glasnevin students ran out 2-11 to 0-12 winners over Longford at Ballymahon. Their reward is a semi-final away to Meath next Sunday.

It was level at 0-8 each after an entertaining first half, before Cavan's Jack Brady netted three minutes after the restart for a DCU side missing several key players. Longford retorted with four points on the trot, but an opportunistic goal from sub Donal Smith put the visitors back in charge.

Five star Griffin calls time on Kingdom

TOMMY GRIFFIN as called time on his 12-season career with the Kerry footballers. The versatile 33-year-old, who won five All-Ireland medals, twice as a starter, informed manager Jack O'Connor of his decision last Saturday.

"I had my mind more or less made up before I met with Jack," Griffin said. "It's the right time to hang up the boots."

Murphy sidelined

DONEGAL have been hit by news that skipper Michael Murphy may require surgery on a groin injury.

"If he is out for the whole league or just two or three games, his rehab plan will be based on getting Michael Murphy back to full fitness," said manager Jim McGuinness, speaking after an experimental Donegal's 1-14 to 2-8 defeat away to Cavan in the Dr McKenna Cup.

Kirby stars for Mayo

DANNY KIRBY plundered four first half goals as Mayo ran out convincing 4-11 to 0-11 winners over GMIT at Ballinrobe, thereby sealing qualification for the FBD League home final.

Kirby (19) crowned his second senior start with a dazzling 4-1 return while Conor Mortimer, back in the starting 15, chipped in with 0-6 (4f). Meanwhile, Nicky Joyce marked his first Galway appearance since 2010 by scoring three points from play in their 1-15 to 0-8 victory over London at Ballinasloe.