OFFALY hurling boss, Joe Dooley, has branded the GAA's beleaguered disciplinary system "a disgrace" as he prepares for Saturday's All-Ireland hurling qualifier with Limerick without the suspended Daniel Currams.
The Faithful County defender was sent off in the 46th minute of their Leinster SHC semi-final defeat to Galway, a sanction which was labelled as "harsh" by both Dooley and his opposite number, John McIntyre on the day.
Already, Currams has missed the narrow replay defeat to the Tribesmen and will sit out Saturday's match and if, as expected, Offaly progress, he will also be suspended for their phase three qualifier tie, further highlighting the anomaly of the time-based suspension system.
"Dan Currams is still out, which is a disgrace really to be honest," said Dooley yesterday.
"He is going to miss two and half matches and, if we win on Saturday night, he will miss three and a half games for a fairly harmless enough offence. There is something inequitable about it.
Curram's plight was highlighted by Dooley yesterday on the same day that Kerry footballer, Tomás ó sé, was informed by the CCCC that he was retrospectively recommended for a four-week suspension for a category two offence (striking with the elbow) during last Sunday's Munster SFC final win over Limerick.
ó sé escaped censure for his clash with Treaty County player, Stephen Kelly, during the match but having been requested to review video footage of the incident, referee, Pat Fox, informed the GAA's disciplinary arm that the An Gaelteacht defender should, in fact, have been sent off on a straight red card.
Yet despite the fact that ó sé's sanction was identical to that of Currams, he will miss just one match - Kerry's All-Ireland SFC quarter-final, further boosting the argument of proponents of match-based suspensions.
GAA president, Christy Cooney, yesterday explained that the issue would be addressed at next year's congress.
"We'll have a motion before Congress next year to try and satisfy all the requirements that are there with regard to match bans and it's important we would do that," he said.
"There was a motion last year in congress on that and I asked that it would be withdrawn because we were working currently on one to make it broader and cover all the angles."
Meanwhile, Kerry selector, Ger O'Keeffe, has defended the Kingdom's disciplinary record, despite the recent high-profile incidents involving ó sé and Paul Galvin.
Both players will miss the All-Ireland quarter-final as a result of their bans but O'Keeffe has stressed that neither episode were a true reflection of the Kerry team.
"They are two incidents we could have done without but they were just two incidents," said O'Keeffe. "They were highlighted and we move on. They will be huge losses, no doubt about it, but we will plan accordingly for the quarter-final."
KILKENNY'S intermediate hurling team added the Leinster hurling title to the county's treasure chest when they outplayed Dublin at their ease in last night's 1-21 to 0-10 provincial IHC final at Nowlan Park.