| 12.1°C Dublin

Déise's Ryan leaves Dubs dream in ruins

Goals in either half by captain Shane Ryan proved pivotal as Waterford overcame Dublin by 2-18 to 0-19 in their Electric Ireland All-Ireland Minor Hurling Championship quarter-final 
at Semple Stadium yesterday afternoon.

Despite starting brightly through a second-minute point from Con O'Callaghan, Dublin were largely on the back foot in the early stages and they fell behind through a brace of scores by Patrick Curran and a 
long- distance strike from Cormac Curran.

A Chris Bennett free stalled Waterford's momentum briefly but after Peter Hogan had doubled his side's lead, Curran found space to release Shane Ryan for a clinical finish beyond Jonathan Treacy in the 11th minute.

Although Bennett landed a glorious point from distance two minutes later, it was evident that the Dubs were struggling in the aerial exchanges and they fell further behind after points from Shane Bennett and Ryan.

However, Dublin were gradually beginning to enjoy some sporadic periods of pressure with two frees by Chris Bennett preceding a glorious point from play by Rian McBride, which trimmed his side's arrears to three points by the 23rd minute.

Shane Bennett and Chris Bennett exchanged points as the half progressed and after Hogan had rattled Treacy's crossbar in the 26th minute, a late free from Chris Bennett ensured the Dubs trailed by just three points (1-8 to 0-8) by the interval.

The Dubs were handed added momentum within two minutes of the resumption as Bennett and Eoghan McHugh (pictured, below inset) added points in quick succession with the All-Ireland holders responding in kind through Hogan and Cormac Curran.

The game turned irrevocably in Waterford's favour in the 43rd minute as Ryan fired home and from the resultant puck-out, O'Callaghan was harshly penalised after kicking to the 
net from close range.

Dublin battled in vain to close the gap but four points shared by substitutes Tom Fox and Sean Grey proved insufficient to deny the Déise.

Scorers - Waterford: S Ryan 2-1; P Curran 0-4 (3f), S Bennett 0-4 each; C Curran, P Hogan 0-3 each; D Lyons 0-2; C Roche 
0-1. Dublin: C Bennett 0-8 (6f); C O'Callaghan, T Fox, S Gray (1 '65'), E Ó Conghaile 0-2 each; R McBride, S Ryan, E McHugh 0-1 each.

Dublin: J Treacy; M McCallion, S Barrett, D Butler; C Brady, 
J Malone, E Conroy; R McBride, C O'Sullivan; C Bennett, 
E McHugh, E Dunne; C O'Callaghan, S Ryan, E Ó Conghaile. 
Subs: P O'Dea for Brady (29), T Fox for O'Sullivan (30), S Gray for Dunne (half-time), F Whitely for O'Dea (60).

Waterford: B Nolan; D Prendergast, E Hayden, M Cronin; 
C Prunty, C Gleeson, J Mullaney; D Lyons, A Molumby; 
S Bennett, C Curran, C Roche; P Hogan, P Curran, S Ryan. 
Subs: S Murray for Prendergast (33), MJ Sutton for Molumby (45), E Meaney for Sutton (52), J Allen for Walsh (57), 
A O'Sullivan for P Curran (60).

REF: Justin Heffernan (Wexford).