| 6.8°C Dublin

DCU maintain their impressive early season shooting

DCU await the the winners of this Wednesday's Dublin/Meath replay in the O'Byrne Cup semi-final after they continued their impressive record in the competition with a double scores defeat of OFFALY, 0-16 to 0-8.

Last year's runners up were comfortable winners and dominated the match straight from the throw in yesterday in O'Connor Park, Tullamore.

That they were able to deal with the loss of Donie Shine - who kicked three points - to a straight red card seven minutes into the second-half and still ease home bore testament to their superiority.


Offaly manager Tom Cribbin fielded a mixture of experience and fresh talent, though his starting 15 did feature veteran Ciarán McManus at centre-back while Niall McNamee lined out at centre-forward.

Should Dublin progress on Wednesday, Sunday's semi-final will have a distinct capital flavour to it given that five of DCU's starters (Phillip McMahon, Kevin Nolan, Bryan Cullen, Johnny Cooper and Paul Flynn) are Dubs while two of their subs (Paddy Andrews and Hugh Gill) could also be involved.

In the day's other quarter-final, champions LOUTH beat ATHLONE IT by 0-18 to 1-8 in Drogheda. Peter Fitzpatrick's men led by 0-9 to 0-6 at the break and kicked some impressive scores, with Colm Judge hitting five points (4f) while Louth's free-scoring midfielder Paddy Keenan claimed four of his own.

Brian Connors late fisted goal gave a softer look to the scoreline for Athone IT.

In the O'Byrne Shield, CARLOW, WESTMEATH and WEXFORD recorded wins over WICKLOW, KILKENNY and LONGFORD respectively.


IN the Walsh Cup, Dublin will face NUIG next Sunday after they beat Liam MacCarthy Cup newcomers CARLOW by 1-17 to 1-8 in Dr Cullen Park yesterday.

Midfielder Finan Coone hit ten points from placed balls for NUIG who fielded three members of Clare's All-Ireland U21 winning team of last September.

Elsewhere, UCD gave ANTRIM a 14 point hammering (4-21 to 3-10) in Belfield yesterday with Maurice Nolan bagging 0-11 (9f) and Peter Atkinson claiming 2-2.

Dublin senior corner-back, Oisín Gough lined out at number four for UCD while David O'Callaghan, who last week played O'Byrne Cup for the college, played the entire match at corner-forward.


Liam Rushe - Dublin player bidding for a spot in UCD's Fitzgibbon Cup team - missed out through illness.

For Antrim, wing-forward PJ O'Connell scored two goals - both in the first half - while Karl McKeegan claimed the Saffron's third goal of the match.

The college go on to face Colm Bonnar's Wexford in Sunday's quarter-final.

OFFALY meanwhile, earned the right of being the first team to try and beat Kilkenny in 2010 after they eventually beat DIT on a 1-19 to 1-18 scoreline.

Cathal Parlon netted for the Midlanders to cancel out Harry Kehoe's earlier goal for DIT, for whom Tomás Brady and Paul Ryan (0-9, 4f, 2 '65') shone.

With the game level entering injury time, Diarmuid Horan stepped up and nailed a pressurised free to win it for Offaly.

In the day's other Walsh Cup match, LAOIS beat GMIT by 1-25 to 1-13 and now go on to face Galway next Sunday.