| 15.7°C Dublin

Davis' dash leaves no room for Maur

THE Kiltipper Kings book quarter-final spot.


THE Kiltipper Kings had much to smile about as they comfortably took their seat in the quarter-finals of the Evening Herald Dublin Senior Football Championship.

They showed all their old wisdom and guile to get there. Eoin Behan at centre half-back was directing the traffic.

Likewise, the energetic Eoin Kirby and James O'Connor at midfield. O'Connor will always wait that extra second to pick the right ball. Kick and hope is just not in his script.

Shane McGrath had a blinder. Tremendous energy and pace, and also willing to give the simple pass.

Ciarán Farrelly also underlined his quality, and Shane Smith, at top of the left, is still causing sleepless nights for corner-backs.

Goalkeeper, Daniel Hennessy, hardly had a save to make. The defensive unit in front of him kept the shutters bolted and in the opening quarter they flooded their own defensive zone which frustrated Maur's scoring attempts despite much possession.

They had to. Maur's can inject speed at a second's notice. They have a rapid style about them. It's pleasing on the eye but last night's display unfortunately was not one they will watch over and over again on dvd.


Early on, they showed samples of what they can do.

Breaking from defence into attack, passing the ball sharply and with precision.

You could see why they are the Division 2 champions. Yet for all their possession, they had very little stocks and shares. They were behind by 1-5 to 1-1 at half-time. And that was despite having quite a generous portion of the cake.

Things didn't get any better for the Rush club after the tea. Thomas Davis made a blistering start to the second period, hitting 1-4 without reply in the opening five minutes.

It looked all over. And it was. Maur's bravely tired to salvage something. A supporter from the North County roared from the stand: "You were eight points down the last day."

But there was to be no repeat of their heroics against Na Fianna. Thomas Davis had cordoned off all the avenues and alley-ways.

The evening was mild. There was dew on the grass. Maur's attacked the church end in the first half. In the 21st minute, Ronan McGuire sent in a 20-metre rocket that skimmed low to the left corner of the Davis net. Three minutes before the break, Joey O'Reilly palmed to the Rush basket. Points on the restart from Farrelly, Smith and Eoin Kirby put Davis in control. And when Smith drifted in from the left to smash the ball under the slates, it was looking grim for Maur's.

A point from the impressive Paul Hudson, a Dublin under-21 this year, soon had them trailing by 11 points.

They responded with three points on the bounce, the best of them a charming right-footed curler from the right from another of their Dublin U21 contingent, Ciarán Reddin. It was one of the few Maur's highlights.

Yet Division 2 champs and the last 16 of the Dublin SFC - not a bad season's work from a talented young side.

But the Tallaght marching band are chuffed to be back among the big eight. And the remarkable Jimmy Owens just keeps on running.

SCORERS - Thomas Davis: S Smith 1-2, C Farrelly, P Hudson (2f) 0-4 each, J O'Reilly 1-0, E Kirby 0-2, S McGrath 0-1. St Maur's: R McGuire 1-0, C Reddin 0-2, L Fletcher, C Carty, C Moore 0-1 each.

THOMAS DAVIS: D Hennessy; P Boland, Brian Kirby, A Fallon; S O'Connor, E Behan, C Deasy; J O'Connor, E Kirby; S Reilly, S McGrath, M Devoy; J O'Reilly, P Hudson, S Smith. Subs: J Owens for Reilly (49); P O'Connor for Smith (51); G Carruth for S O'Connor (56).

ST MAUR'S: M Butterly; K Sweetman, O McGinty, D Carrick; P Butterly, L Fletcher, N Walsh; R Kelly, V Whelan; C Carty, D Byrne, R McGuire; C Reddin, M McGrath, C McGuire. Subs: J Sweetman for Kelly (33); C Moore for McGrath (33); C Sweetman for Whelan (35); E Bollard for P Butterly (43).

REF: D Feeney (Parnell's).