| 14.4°C Dublin

Corbett haul sets up Tipp to crush Wexford efforts Carlow caught late by Saffrons

TIPPERARY cruised past the challenge of Wexford at Semple Stadium by 3-24 to 0-19 in their first game of the qualifier series.

Left marked by the 10-point defeat to Cork in May, Tipp went out to expunge that loss and built up an eight-point lead by the break, going in 0-15 to 0-7 up.

Any hopes of a Wexford revival were shattered by early second-half goals from Lar Corbett and substitute Darragh Egan, with Corbett going on to grab a late goal to seal a 14-point victory.

Tipp boss Liam Sheedy was accused of complacency against Cork and of panicking ahead of this one, due to his radical reshaping of the defence and half-forward line. But his team selection proved to be spot on.

Such was the impact of wing-back David Young on his full championship debut that he pipped Corbett (who scored 2-3) for man of the match.

Carlow caught late by Saffrons

Carlow left Casement Park on Saturday wondering how they had lost the qualifier against Antrim by 2-18 to 3-12.

The Leinster men looked destined for a shock win, but a late flourish by the Saffrons destroyed their hopes of coming away with a famous victory.

The home side went ahead after just 18 seconds but didn't lead again, however, until the 69th minute, when midfielder Karl Stewart hit a long-range point. Karl McKeegan hit another within 60 seconds and impressive substitute Eddie McCloskey polished off the opposition with a third point two minutes into injury-time.

It was rough justice on a brave Carlow side that hurled with passion and poise, with Craig Doyle grabbing two of their goals, but they wilted in the face of Antrim's late surge.

Westmeath claim Ring Cup in style

WESTMEATH are Christy Ring champions by the narrowest of margins thanks to supersub Andrew Dermody's injury-time point at Croke Park on Saturday.

The Castlepollard man stayed cool after a see-saw game full of battling spirit.

Longford defeated Donegal to win the Lory Meagher Cup final, 1-20 to 1-12, with corner-forward Garrett Ghee in sensational form, grabbing 1-9.

Armagh's Paul Breen kept his nerve to deliver the winning point in injury-time on Saturday in the Nicky Rackard final against London as the Ulster hurlers won 3-15 to 3-14.