| 12.3°C Dublin

Colmcille come good

WHITEHALL Colmcille produced a clinical display when comfortably getting the better of a disappointing Fingallians by 11 points in their Dublin Junior 'B' Football Championship final last Saturday evening.




Despite only gaining parity in the possession stakes, the winners proved far more economical in front of goal, especially after the break when they sealed their win through goals from Craig McCarthy and Gavin O'Hagan.

O'Hagan was especially influential in the second half as Colmcille looked to hit a committed Fingallians on the counter-attack and he proved a telling focal point as Whitehall pulled away by the end.

For Fingallians, the disappointment of losing will be compounded by the wastefulness they showed in attack with nine first-half wides undermining their challenge as they played with the benefit of a stiff breeze towards the scoreboard end.



With both sides producing a nervy and sloppy opening, it was left to Mark McArdle to open the scoring through a close-in free in the fifth minute.

Whitehall responded through a free of their own from Kevin O'Donohue three minutes later and the cultured left foot of Seán Ryan brought the game's first score from play in the 11th minute as Colmcille earned full reward from limited possession.

The towering Richie Herity produced a superb levelling point for Fins two minutes later as he fetched a lengthy delivery from Conor Daly before swivelling adroitly to split the posts but it proved an isolated example of his side's potency in attack.

There was a growing frustration for Fingallians as the wides tally increased and they fell behind as both O'Donohue and O'Hagan added points before the former clipped the crossbar in the 21st minute with a penalty attempt after an Eoghan O'Donnell shot was adjudged to have been blocked with the boot.

Whitehall were beginning to click in attack at this stage, enjoying the dominance that the likes of Liam Kennedy, McCarthy and Brian Henry provided and midfielder Cormac Ryan soon stretched their advantage to four points with a fine score in the 23rd minute.

A McArdle free six minutes before the break was a poor return for the territorial supremacy that Fingallians enjoyed as they entered half-time trailing by double scores (0-6 to 0-3).

The contest was effectively settled within 13 minutes of the resumption with Ryan pointing a free inside the opening minute before he put the finishing touches to an excellent move involving O'Hagan, O'Donohue and O'Donnell with a glorious point from 30 yards.

A superb score from O'Hagan ensued soon after and a nine-point lead was created by the 43rd minute when O'Hagan followed up well after O'Donohue's point attempt had struck the upright, feeding McCarthy for a clinical finish across Sean Cunningham.

At the opposite end, Brendan Murphy produced an excellent block to deny Fingallians substitute Ross O'Neill at the end of the third quarter with two frees by another substitute Mark Gibson the only reward for some concerted pressure on the Colmcille goal.

O'Hagan put the gloss on an excellent individual display as he used his power to create and finish a goal chance in the 53rd minute and although corner-back Paddy Brady showed his forwards the way with a sublime point in the closing stages, Whitehall fittingly provided the final scoring act through a sumptuous point from the classy O'Donnell in injury time.