| 4.6°C Dublin

Chiaráin's to face Tower's in showpiece

Craobh Chiaráin advanced to the Dublin Adult Football League Division 5 promotion play-off final as they eked out a narrow 0-9 to 0-8 victory over a battling Thomas Davis in Clonshaugh last Sunday morning.

In what has been a lengthy campaign for the Donnycarney outfit, Craobh can now look forward to gaining tangible reward in a season that saw them lose narrowly to St Vincent's in the Junior Football Championship final.

"It has been a very long year for everyone involved with the team," conceded Craobh manager David Keane.

"To be honest, I'm just looking forward to the season ending as it has gone on for a fair while now.

"It has been a very good year all the same but it is very important that we end the season on a high and this is definitely our biggest game of the year, especially after we left the county final and our provincial campaign behind us a bit this year," added Keane.

Chairáin's impressed from the outset, opening up an early three-point lead and their defence was especially sound thanks to the input from stand-in goalkeeper Ciarán McGouran and full-back Kevin Hetherton.

Further up the field, Robbie Mahon excelled once again at midfield in addition to kicking five points over the hour and there were equally influential contributions from Alan McCrabbe, Gary Kelly and Peter O'Boyle for the winners.

It proved similarly tight in Hyde Park as Round Tower Lusk required extra-time to eventually get the better of Cuala by 1-15 to 0-17.

In a dramatic conclusion to events, the visitors looked dead and buried before Stephen Harford popped up for the game's solitary goal in the final minute to clinch a famous victory for the North County club.

The game opened up with Tower's in the ascendancy thanks to four points shared by Josh Connell, Timmy Doyle and the impressive Aaron Howley, and despite the hosts responding well, the visitors enjoyed a three-point interval advantage following scores by Adam Caul and Ciaran Murphy.

However, their momentum stalled as they conceded seven points on the trot to a vibrant Cuala side but they composed themselves through the efforts of Harford and Liam Hoban to ensure a 0-12 apiece stalemate at full-time.

Cuala looked to have done enough in extra-time as they built up a three-point lead but Andy Moore's score preceded Harford's late heroics.