| 10.4°C Dublin

Carson to the rescue for Pat's

BRIAN CARSON was the hero in O'Toole Park on Saturday, as his pointed free at the end of extra time ensured that St Pat's live to fight another day with Templeogue/Synge Street in the fourth round of the Evening Herald Dublin Senior Football Championship.


ST PAT'S, PALMERSTOWN...........2-11

(After Extra-Time)

Pat's moved into a 0-2 to 0-1 lead with 14 minutes gone, with points from Carson and Aidan Glennon coming either side of a Templeogue free from Dublin minor Niall Scully.

Pat's missed chances to increase their lead and were made to pay 18 minutes in when Alan O'Brien put Scully through on goal, and his quick lay-off paved the way for Ger Vickery to palm into an empty net.


Synger lost Philip Wallace to injury on 24 minutes, but they finished the half with points from Cillian Byrne, Scully and Denis Bastick to lead 1-4 to 0-3 at the break. Pat's then raised the tempo with scores from Glennon, Graham Kelly and Colm Driver, but Synger hit back with 1-2 between the 35th and 40th minutes, the goal a terrific finish from Eoghan O'Gara.

Pat's hit three points on the trot once again through Glennon (2) and Barry O'Hanlon, yet Synger looked to have done enough when Scully kicked over in the first minute of injury-time.

But Glennon finished past Eamonn Spillane from a 63rd-minute penalty, before Peter Keaney followed up with a fisted effort from close-range to bring the game into extra-time.

Pat's edged ahead by two with a major from Kelly on the 66th minute, but a brace of frees from Alan O'Brien, and one each from Fintan Coffey and Scully, put Synger in the ascendancy once more. However, Carson's kick at the death sent the tie to a replay.

Scorers - Templeogue Synge Street: N Scully 0-5 (4f); G Vickery, E O'Gara 1-0 each; A O'Brien 0-2 (2f), D Bastick ('45), F Coffey, C Morley, C Byrne 0-1 each. St Pat's, Palmerstown: A Glennon 1-5 (1-0 pen, 0-4f); G Kelly 1-1; B Carson 0-2 (1f); B O'Hanlon, P Keaney, C Driver 0-1 each.

TEMPLEOGUE SYNGE STREET: E Spillane; M Treanor, P Wallace, K Devine; B Fitzgerald, C McKiernan, M Cannon; D Bastick, F Coffey; C Morley, G Vickery, A O'Brien; N Scully, E O'Gara, E McKiernan. Subs: C Byrne for Cannon (18-24, blood sub), C Byrne for Wallace (24), C Donohue for Cannon (36), C O'Reilly for O'Brien (60), C Keogh for E McKiernan (60+3), O'Brien for O'Reilly (61), O'Reilly for Keogh (71).

ST PAT'S, PALMERSTOWN: C McHugh; D Gallagher, B O'Hanlon, F Maher; G Dunne, B Carson, P McDermott; P Keaney, D O'Hanlon; A Glennon, S Stapleton, C Driver; R Carson, J McDermott, G Kelly. Subs: L Rushe for R Carson (36), B Gilbert for B Carson (45), B Carson for P McDermott (68), R Carson for Stapleton (80).

Referee: P Fitzsimons (Liffey Gaels).