| 14.1°C Dublin

Boden see off Crokes


BALLYBODEN ST ENDA'S produced a dominant second-half performance when narrowly accounting for Kilmacud Crokes by three points (2-9 to 0-12) in their controversial Dublin SFC second round tie at O'Toole Park on Saturday afternoon.

The controversy arose in the 54th minute when Crokes, leading by a point at that juncture, were denied what appeared to be a perfectly legitimate goal when wing-back Ross McGowan palmed goalwards after a clever pass from substitute David Campbell.

However, despite the best efforts of Stephen O'Connor and the goal being initially awarded as one umpire waved the green flag, it appeared then that both the umpires and referee Brian O'Shea had a change of heart and after much deliberation, the decision to award the 'goal' was reversed.

To compound Kilmacud's frustration, Mark Coughlan was dismissed from the resultant throw-in with St Enda's taking full advantage as they accrued 1-2 in the final four minutes to confirm their progression to the last eight.

Such an outcome seemed unlikely after a ponderous opening 20 minutes from Ballyboden and despite enjoying parity in the possession stakes, they looked bereft of ideas as Ross O'Carroll placed the early shackles on Conal Keaney.

At the opposite end of the field, Crokes looked far more concise and they opened up a four-point lead by the end of the first quarter thanks to three points from Mark Vaughan and an excellent Stephen Williams effort.


Boden finally opened their account through a Ryan Basquel free in the 18th minute but Kilmacud struck for three successive points, with Vaughan's jinking score in the 21st minute reflecting the undoubted talent at his disposal.

Basquel was proving Boden's main attacking threat against an understandably out-of-sorts Rory O'Carroll and he handed his side a much-needed lifeline when racing clear before rounding David Nestor for a composed finish four minutes before the break.

The half ended with a relative glut of scores with the impressive O'Connor and Keaney tagging on points for 'Boden while Vaughan and Coughlan did likewise for Crokes, as they enjoyed a 0-9 to 1-3 interval advantage.

With Stephen Hiney and Robbie McDaid becoming increasingly influential in the St Enda's defence, their deficit was narrowed to just a single point in the 40th minute with Basquel and Keaney landing sumptuous points as Kilmacud struggled to retain possession.

'Boden's chances were kept alive as Dara Walsh produced a sublime save at the end of the third quarter when acrobatically tipping a Craig Dias attempt round his right-hand upright although Vaughan provided a degree of compensation when popping over the resultant '45'.

Frees from Andrew Kerin and Vaughan kept both sides ticking over but Kilmacud looked to have landed the decisive blow when the lively McGowan timed his run to perfection to palm home, only for the equally dramatic intervention of the officials to cancel out his score.


Although substitute Liam óg Ó hÉineacháin doubled Crokes' lead in the 59th minute after excellent work by Dias, their numerical disadvantage was punished as Seán Gibbons, who was highly influential upon his introduction, raced down the endline before passing to Kerin, who scrambled his shot to the net.

Crokes never looked likely to muster an equaliser from this stage and their fate was duly sealed as Gibbons and fellow substitute Donagh McCabe tagged on insurance scores to add further insult to Kilmacud's injury.

SCORERS - Ballyboden St Enda's: R Basquel (0-1f), A Kerin (0-2f) 1-2 each, C Keaney 0-2, S O'Connor, S Gibbons, D McCabe 0-1 each. Kilmacud Crokes: M Vaughan 0-7 (0-4f, 0-1 '45'), S Williams, B Kavanagh (f), K Nolan, M Coughlan, L óg Ó hÉineacháin 0-1 each.

BALLYBODEN ST ENDA'S: D Walsh; P O'Brien, R McDaid, M O'Sullivan; S O'Connor, S Hiney, D Nelson; M Macauley, D O'Mahony; D Reilly, R Basquel, C Smyth; K Naughton, C Keaney, A Kerin. Subs: S Gibbons for Smyth (39), C Gibbons for Nelson (41), D McCabe for Naughton (56).

KILMACUD CROKES: D Nestor; C Lambe, Ross O'Carroll, E Culligan; R Ryan, Rory O'Carroll, R McGowan; C O'Sullivan, P Duggan; K Nolan, P Burke, S Williams; B Kavanagh, C Dias, M Vaughan. Subs: M Coughlan for Williams (28), L óg Ó hÉineacháin for Rory O'Carroll (39), D Campbell for Kavanagh (47).

REF: B O'Shea (St Mark's).