| 7.3°C Dublin

dylan'sdun' deal!

Dunboyne FC 1

Castleknock Celtic 0

A superb strike at the start of the second half from Dylan Vaughan gave Dunboyne FC victory in the NDSL Under-10 Umbro Cup Final at the Oscar Traynor Road.

Young Dylan's strike from out on the right wing flew into the top corner giving the unfortunate Castleknock 'keeper Sabin Ghet no chance.

However, while the scoreline showed only one goal between the two sides, chances of further goals rose easily into double figures.


Celtic will count themselves extremely unlucky to finish scoreless and the fact that Dunboyne number one, Michael Scott, got Man of the Match emphasised how unfortunate they were not to find the back of the net at least once.

Most of their chances fell to the talented Alex Moore who, on another day and with a little more luck falling his way, could have scored several.

But while another Alex retired this week after a long career behind him, young Alex Moore is no doubt setting out on a long and successful career in front of him.

Early on in this game however – as on most cup final days – a little nerve was on display and but for a half chance for Dunboyne's Alex Brady and a fine run from Castleknock's Adam Nolan which led to Moore's shot being blocked, both sides had little to show for their endeavours.

As time ticked on , the nerves eased and sweaty palms went away and these youngters' natural abilities took over.

The opening chance of the second period fell to the County Meath side. David Butnaru's through-ball to Brady was spot on but Ghet in the Celtic goal was quick to save with his feet.

Up the other end, it was Moore who was causing the Dunboyne defence some anxious moments.

After 24 minutes, he saw his effort saved by Michael Scott and then, moments later, he saw his second effort sail wide.

Dunboyne's Butnaru then almost opened the scoring following Aidan Flynn's precise pass forward but again Ghet was there to deny him.

On 26 minutes though, the game got its first and only goal.

And what a goal it was as Vaughan's cracker cruised into the net to make it 1-0 to Dunboyne.

Castleknock never stopped knocking on the Dunboyne door though and while Moore had further chances, which Scott saved or just went the wrong side of the post, Scott Daly too was close to levelling matters.

Late on though, it was Dunboyne who could have doubled their lead. Twice Butnaru saw chances go amiss with his first missing the target and his second, a free-kick, that was saved well by Ghet.

But it mattered little in the end as Dunboyne had done enough to claim victory and bring the cup back home.

Dunboyne: Michael Scott, Aidan Flynn, Jack Brown, Daniel Flanagan, Ben Manning, Dylan Vaughan, Liam Kelly, Daragh Cullen, Alex Brady, David Butnaru, Davin Ryan.

Castleknock: Sabin Ghet, Alasdair Thom, Callum Oliphant, Great Imole, Will Hennessy, Scott Daly, Adam Nolan, Fabian Wolski, Alex Moore, Tom Maxwell.

Referee: Conor Davis.