| 14.3°C Dublin

brady seals boro's fate



(After Extra-Time)

A HAT-TRICK from Max Brady sealed an extra-time victory for Inny in a dramatic CCFL Saturday Divisions Cup final.

Inny came up against a Boro Celtic side chasing a possible treble of Saturday Division One, Saturday Cup and Division One Cup titles and they looked well on their way when they led 2-0 after 27 minutes.

Boro got a dream start when within 30 seconds of the kick-off at Gainstown Henry Kenny got his head to a Jason Tarmey goal and made it 1-0.

Boro were playing the better football on a day when the conditions swung wildly from blustery wind, to hail, to rain, to sun and back again.

But a series of offside calls went against them and slowed their gallop before right winger David Harrison made a terrific run from deep inside his own half and then celebrated when Inny goalkeeper Keith Thompson dropped his cross shot into the net.


With only the excellent centre half Kieran Murphy offering sustained resistance, Boro swept forward again and Thompson had to make a smart save from James Hanley.

In the 32nd minute Inny were back in the game when Murphy played an excellent ball up to Mattie Gorman and he beat the Boro defence with pace and shot home.

Six minutes before the break, the match was level when a Gorman shot was pushed onto a post by the diving Mark Tarmey, but Brady swept home the loose ball.

And the game was turned on its head just before half-time when Barry Harten's deft touch just rolled into the net at the far post.

After a goal-filled first half, the tempo slowed somewhat in the second, but Boro squared it up for the second time when Derek Mjurray grabbed a ball close to the six-yard box from a retaken free in midfield and drove it home in the 50th minute.

There were chances for both sides in the normal time that remained, but Thompson emerged as a hero for Inny, repeatedly going down bravely at the feet of swift Boro attackers and commanding his area with authority.

It was still 3-3 when referee Brian James sounded the final whistle and, after a quick breather, the sides settled into a first period of extra-time which produced three goals.

Inny looked to be safe when Brady and Harten scored to put them 5-3 up in the 103rd minute, but impressive substitute James Hilton bagged a brilliant individual goal to cut the deficit to one two minutes from the end of the first period.


There was to be no more comebacks in the second period, however, and when Declan McCormack was penalised for handball in the Boro box, Brady stepped up for the penalty in the 107th minute. Though Tarmey dived brilliantly to parry the spot-kick, Brady followed up and stabbed home the rebound.

On balance, Inny just deserved the win and Boro must now refocus for next Saturday evening's Division One Cup decider against Tullamore Town in Clara.

BORO CELTIC: Mark Tarmey; Jason Tarmey, Declan McCormack, Declan Hanley, Mike Morrissey, Alan Manning, David Harrison, Henry Kenny, Derek Murray, James Hanley, Clem McCormack. Subs: James Hilton for James Hanley (77 mins), Steven Masterson for Clem McCormack (83 mins).

INNY: Keith Thompson; Robbie Wilson, Eamon Callaghan, Aaron Carey, Kieran Murphy, Adam Cunningham, Barry Harten, Enda Carter, Kyle McGivran, Max Brady, Mattie Gorman. Subs: Shaun Kavanagh for Kyle McGivran (54 mins), Rystis Bilousis for Shaun Kavanagh (66 mins), Marius Maletta for Barry Harten (107 mins).

Referee: Brian James (Midland Branch).