Sarsfields' second-half surge sees off O'Toole's

Ronan Mac Lochlainn

LUCAN Sarsfields produced a dominant second-half display to overcome O'Toole's by nine points in their Evening Herald Dublin SHC quarter-final at O'Toole Park on Saturday.



Leading by four points at the break, Lucan shot five unanswered points upon the restart and Kevin O'Reilly's 51st-minute penalty effectively settled the contest.

The first half was a far tighter affair with a brace of O'Reilly frees being negated by scores from Michael Carton and Philip Brennan. Mick May, Trevor Lee and Chris Crummy all tagged on points for Sars and despite an excellent point from Carton, O'Reilly tagged on two scores to leave Lucan 0-8 to 0-4 ahead at the interval.

An excellent score by O'Reilly within seconds of the restart was added to by Lee soon after and the gap soon became a chasm as May, O'Reilly and John McCaffrey tagged on points.

However, their advantage was whittled down by a a poacher's goal from Peadar Carton, with Liam Ryan's classy score reducing the margin to four by the 47th minute.

A foul on Crummy punctured that momentum however with O'Reilly converting the penalty and late scores from Alan Whyte and O'Reilly confirmed Lucan's progress.

Scorers - Lucan Sarsfields: K O'Reilly 1-8 (1-0 pen, 0-6f), T Lee, M May 0-2, C Crummy, J McCaffrey, A Roche, A Whyte 0-1 each. O'Toole's: M Carton 0-4 (1f, 1 '65'), P Carton 1-0, P Brennan, L Ryan, G O'Meara 0-1 each.

Lucan Sarsfields: K Roche; C Dooley, P Kelly, B McGarry; M McCaffrey, D Clarke, T Somers; K Fitzgerald, J McCaffrey; P Carroll, M May, C Crummy; K O'Reilly, P Brennan, T Lee. Subs: A Roche for Brennan (half-time), D Quinn for Lee (47), E Ó Conghaile for May and A Whyte for Carroll (57), R Lambert for Clarke (60).

O'Toole's: B McLoughlin; R Walker, M Healy, G O'Meara; C Carton, K ryan, P Brennan; M Carton, A Morris; P Carton, G Morris, D Farrelly; M Cunningham, L Ryan, C Mulligan. Subs: P Bradshaw for Cunningham (half-time), S Leonard for Farrelly (39).

Referee: G McGrath (Setanta)