Rís rise up to seize Junior

Griffith Avenue boys conquer bluebloods of Eoin in epic replay

Diarmuid Geraghty

Ardscoil Rís 4-7

Coláiste Eoin 3-9

Last week these two sides could not be separated after an epic battle which ended in stalemate after extra time. This week there was a winner of the Dublin Schools Junior Football 'A' title, but there was no shortage of drama.

Ardscoil Rís celebrated passionately at the end of another frantic 60 minutes.

They knew they were part of something special as they saw off Coláiste Eoin by the narrowest of margins. They looked to be cruising when they scored four first-half goals which gave them a comfortable lead.

But this Eoin side were never going to go down without a fight and managed to claw back a lead of 10 points to draw level entering the final five minutes.

It was a blistering first period for the winners who opened the scoring through a point from the games marquee performer, Cormac Costello.

Eoin responded immediately when a neat dummy from corner forward Conchr Ó Duinnsléibhe allowed the space for him to split the posts.

But Rís became the dominant force with their midfield of Conor Dolan and Shane Barrett along with the excellent Gavin Burke winning oceans of possession around the middle third.

It was Barrett who grabbed the first of the game's seven goals after nine minutes with a powerful left foot finish. Eoin were guilty of some poor shooting before being hit with another sucker punch when combination play from Burke and Gary Murphy created the opening for full forward Sean Ó Cuanacháin to find the net.

The Stillorgan boys were given an immediate chance to respond but Óisin Ó Ruairc saw his penalty saved by Luke Carey.

As half-time approached, two more goals for Barrett and Murphy, both set up by the powerful running of Costello, gave the Northsiders what looked like an unassailable lead.

But Eoin were thrown a lifeline when tireless midfielder Colm Ó Cróinín saw his shout rebound of the post where Ó Duinnsléibhe was on hand to tap home to leave them trailing by seven at the break, 4-1 to 1-3. That goal, coupled with the interval, allowed the Eoin boys a chance to regroup and they returned to the field as a team transformed.

Ó Ruairc hit a brace of frees, which sandwiched an effort from Ó Cróinín, to cut the gap to four entering the final quarter.

Costello then scored a double of his own, which was followed by a Sean O'Meara point as they moved clear once more.


Another free from Ó Ruairc preceded the late drama. A second penalty was awarded to Eoin and this time Conchuir Ó Duibhir made no mistake as he placed it low to the corner. In the next attack, Ó Ruairc amazingly levelled matters when his long-range shot somehow squeezed in off the post.

The momentum appeared to be with the Eoin men but Ardscoil Rís showed the mettle of true champions as points from Costello, Murphy and substitute Sean Manley put them in the ascendancy once more.

Two more late points from Ó Ruairc set up a nailbiting finale but they couldn't find a way for force another period of extra-time and had to watch as Martin Moore accepted the cup on behalf of Ardscoil Rís.

Scorers -- Ardscoil Rís: S Barrett 2-0, G Murphy 1-1, C Costello 0-4 (1f), S O Cunnacháin 1-0, S O Meara, S Manley 0-1 each. Coláiste Eoin: Ó Ó Ruairc 1-6 (0-4f), C Ó Duinnsléibhe 1-1, C Ó Duibhir 1-0 (pen), D Ó Conchubhair, C Mac Conbhuidhe (f) 0-1 each.

Ardscoil Rís: L Carey; E Duffy, S O'Keefe, M Moore; K O'Donohue, J Collins, C Mullins; C Dolan, S Barrett; L Casserly, G Burke, C Costello; S O'Meara, S O Cuanacháin, G Murphy. Subs: S Manley for Casserly (54).

Coláiste Eoin: S Ó Braonáin; D Ó Brudair, C Ó Dúlacháin, F Ó Riain Bhroinn; C Ó Seanáin, B Ó Fallúin, D Ó Conchubhair; C Mac Gabhann, C Ó Cróinín; C Mac Conbhuidhe, Ó Ó Ruairc, M Ó Cathaláin; C Ó Duinnsléibhe, D Ó Caomhánaigh, C Ó Duibhir. Subs: C Ó Ceallacháin for Ó Caomhánaigh (36), S Ó hEachtigeirn for Ó Conchuibhair (36).

Referee: S Farrell (St Patrick's, Donabate).