NEW Carlow manager Anthony Rainbow must plan without Brendan Murphy for the first half of the National League, after his midfield talisman lacerated a kidney while playing for the Army last month.
"Brendan has been told to take a complete break from training until he has another scan in late January," Rainbow revealed.
"I've met and talked with Brendan and, thankfully, he is fine health-wise. But he has to get the all-clear first and then get back training so I'd say, realistically, it will be March before he's ready to return to us."
Byrne is injury worry for 'Mun
DEREK BYRNE is Ballymun's only major injury concern ahead of their AIB Leinster club football final against Portlaoise on Sunday week.
Byrne was introduced at half-time during their semi-final against Sarsfields last Sunday, but only lasted 18 minutes before injury struck and has been rated at 50-50 for the provincial decider.
"He got a very hard knock to the shin and he has a problem with the calf as well, a slight tear," explained his manager, Paul Curran. However, even by Tuesday night there had been a "big improvement" in his condition.
In response to a request from local radio, the Ballymun/Portlaoise throw-in time at Mullingar has been brought forward to 1.45.
Lyng puts football first
CIARAN LYNG has confirmed that he'll continue to put football first even though he has decided to embrace life as a Wexford dual player in 2013.
"There are three league games that clash so you are talking about being available for at least two hurling games. If we're playing the same weekend as the footballers, I'll be playing with the footballers," said the 2008 All-Star nominee.
"Football is important to me. We've made small strides in the last few years and I'm conscious of that.
"I've always liked hurling and I would like to have some role with the hurlers. I think they are going somewhere. No one outside of the group thinks they are, but I do," Lyng added.
Harte names his squad
TYRONE manager Mickey Harte has moved to "clarify" his 36-man provisional squad for 2013, while stressing that this is "in no way the final list of names". Harte's decision to omit several All-Ireland veterans in an extensive cull of this year's panel has attracted widespread media coverage this week.
The provisional squad is:Dermot Carlin, Colm Cavanagh, Sean Cavanagh, Conor Clarke, Kyle Coney, Mark Donnelly, Matthew Donnelly, Kevin Gallagher, Conor Gormley, Conan Grugan, Peter Harte, Jonathan Lafferty, Plunkett Kane, Conor McAliskey, Danny McBride, Tiernan McCann, Cathal McCarron, Pascal McConnell, Darren McCurry, Aidan McCrory, Ciaran McGinley, Ryan McKenna, Joe McMahon, Justin McMahon, Ronan McNabb, Dean McNally, Ronan McNamee, Paddy McNeice, Niall Morgan, Mickey Murphy, Ronan O'Neill, Stephen O'Neill, Martin Penrose, PJ Quinn, Barry Tierney, Sean Warnock.