| 15.8°C Dublin

Connacht to discuss ref's report on melee

CONNACHT Council disciplinary chiefs will tonight consider their response to the weekend flashpoint in which a hurling referee was knocked to the ground during a provincial club JHC decider in Ballyhaunis.

It remains to be seen if anyone was identified in the match report of Roscommon referee Kevin McGeeney, reportedly knocked down during a fracas that escalated when he awarded a free close to the dugouts at the Mayo venue.

Calry-St Joseph's of Sligo eventually prevailed against Galway rivals Skehana, courtesy of a late winning point, but most of the post-match debate has focused on the incident involving McGeeney around five minutes before the final whistle.

A Connacht Council spokesperson confirmed that the referee's report has been received and will be discussed by its CCC at a meeting tonight.

When order was restored after the melee, a Calry player was sent off (although sources say this was for a second yellow not related to the incident with the referee).

McGeeney then resumed the game, with no apparent injury, and thankfully it finished without further incident.

The final was played on an artificial pitch at the Connacht Council's Centre of Excellence and, due to logistical reasons, the crowd of less than 300 were allowed to watch from inside the perimeter fence. However, Connacht secretary John Prenty, who was in attendance, has defended the location and insisted there was nothing wrong with the stewarding of the game.

TYRONE champions Errigal Ciarán's task of toppling Crossmaglen Rangers in Sunday's Ulster Club SFC semi-final have been made even more difficult as they will be without two of their usual starting 15.

Damien McDermott is currently suspended while Caolan Tierney is on holiday. McDermott received a straight red card in their Ulster quarter-final victory over Ballinderry (Derry) while Tierney is away on holidays.

"He's on holidays and he's not going to be available to us," said Errigal Ciarán manager Ronan McGuckin.

"Caolan agonised over it, it was something he had booked over a year ago, a three-week break.

"I wasn't going to put a block in his way, and he has decided to go, with my full support, but it's a blow to the team obviously."