| 11.1°C Dublin

Xpose star Michelle tells of heartache after plug is pulled on Phantom radio

XPOSE presenter Michelle Doherty has said she was heartbroken to learn of Phantom FM closing down.

The alternative music station ceased broadcasting last Sunday as it is being rebranded as TFXM by Communicorp.

Donegal DJ and TV star Michelle (36) worked with the indie station for four years before finally packing it in and moving to London.

She said: "I was gutted to hear about it closing, absolutely heartbroken. I was a big fan of Phantom.

"My heart went out to my former colleagues, as I would have worked with a lot of them. I was devastated, it's a big loss."

It was a shock in showbiz circles when Michelle suddenly quit her high-profile job with the station in 2012.

But she cited the early morning starts as being the driving force, as she is a night owl and found the hours too unsociable.


Michelle wanted to try her hand at acting and landed a part in What Richard Did.

After being unveiled as the new reporter on Xpose, she's now back commuting between Dublin and London as she fills in for Aisling O'Loughlin on maternity leave.

Ironically, she's now more than four months pregnant herself with her first baby with entrepreneur partner Mark O'Shea.

"There's definitely something in the water in TV3," she said.

"The pregnancy's been great, though. Half the time I forget I'm even pregnant, so it's been fantastic.

"I'm not sick or tired and I'm making sure I'm getting loads of sleep and eating all the right things."

She cut a stylish figure at the launch of TK Maxx's spring/summer campaign, Me. By Me at House on Leeson Street.

And she told how she's putting down roots in her new home.

"I'd been flying back and forth but as I get towards the end of the pregnancy I won't be able to do that so we've just bought a house in north London," she said. "The plan is to stay over there permanently."

She'll finish up with Xpose on May 15 before heading back to await the arrival of her new baby.

She's due to give birth in August in a London hospital.